The Ultimate Retrofit Discussion

Discussion in 'General Truck Discussion' started by FTZ HAIC, May 20, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Tonight I was searching around for information about the 2015+ F150, to see how many of it's lighter suspension parts would fit on a 2004-2008 (the trucks are the same basic platform). Unfortunately, information about this is scant, and it started me thinking about how much knowledge there is that is either not shared, or not shared well.

Sure, you can get a big parts interchange book, and wade through thousands of parts like alternators and such from a Pinto to see if it fits your Ford. But what's really need are short lists of common items that we can readily reference.

I think it would be great to make a start that here, and I can use it to put together an article several of us can maintain and grow over time.

Here's a start:
    1973-1979 F2WD F-series disc brake spindles (and the entire i-beams too) can be swapped onto 1965 - 1972 2WD F-series.

1967 - 1972 share the same windshield as the 1973-1979 trucks.

1957 - 2017 F-series trucks can use the same brake pedal rubber pad. One of the longest running parts!

There's much more I can add, but it's late and my brain has decided to shut down for the night! Please share any parts you know of, big trucks and small, and suvs.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

The inside of the bed stayed the same from 1973 to 1996
    if you look at the floor in the newer trucks, you can see the stamping for the narrower frame of the early trucks

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

So a 73 bed is a direct bolt onto a 96? Pretty cool.

4. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

I see where this is very useful info, pretty cool

5. Fabman In Memoriam Vet Zone Staff Alumni Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Bench seats are all interchangeable from 1953 through 1996. The mounts vary, but the basic seat frames are the same!

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

2010 - 2014 F150 electric radiator fans swap directly onto 2004-2008 F150 radiators replacing the mechanical fan, with minor trimming on one corner. You'll need to make a couple of small 1 inch metal tabs to clip the bottom on but when you see it, it's obvious how to do it. You'll need a fan controller though, the PCM doesn't have one in these years.

1999 - 2007 F250 and 1997 - 2003 (2004 Heritage) F150 share the same tailgate. 2008 - 2016 Super Duty can also interchange with them, but you need to swap the mounting bracket too, and not just the tailgate.

What about 1999+ Super Duty grills, any one know which years swap?

7. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

99-04 grills. lights go to 05

8. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Tail lights for 1997-2003 (2004 Heritage) F150 swap with 1999 - 2012 Super Duty tail lights. They are identical through 2007, and were updated but still physically swap.

I know the 60's and 70s front and rear bumpers can swap, they just use different brackets. But I don't remember which years the part numbers change or the bracket types. Anyone recall the year details?

9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

frame changes between the 60's and 70's, but you use the brackets for your year truck. bumpers still bolt up

FTZ HAIC likes this.
  10. Truck Runner

What about truck beds how far back do they go with the same sizes for things like camper tops?

11. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

the 70's back of cab slanted up pretty quick at the top. A newer 80's topper will fit, but there is a big gap at the top of the cab.
    a 70's topper WILL NOT fit on a 80's truck, the front-top, of the topper will hit the top back of the cab before the bottom lines up with the front of the bed

12. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I must have gotten lucky with the canopy I bought for my 77 F100 then, because it lined up perfectly! All I knew about it was it came off of a long box Ford and it was $300.

13. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Early eighties engine mount saddles all used the same set of holes to line them up and were riveted to the frame on one side only - the other side is a bolt up. I don't know for sure how many years they are the same on - but I do know all the frames were drilled for all the mounts, and that the side with rivets can be bolted in place with the same bolts as the opposite side.

It's the easiest way to go from a six, to a small or mid-block, or to a big block. Change out the saddles and you're there!

*That's what I did in swapping the V6 to a 302 in my old blue F100

* To see what engines a set of saddles are for, look inside the saddles. It's stamped into the metal.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso