Thinking of buying...

Discussion in '1987 - 1991 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by lazbiker, Jan 19, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. lazbiker

So I’m thinking of buying another F-150. This is a 91 extra cab 351 windsor c-6 Transmission. The owner is selling it because he is disabled and is on a fixed income. He can’t physically work on it and can’t afford to put money into it. The fuel pump wasn’t working so he dropped the tank, tested the pump. It worked, so he ran a toggle switch to it to power it. He then drove it a few miles and smelled melting wires. A smog diverted solenoid had shorted and melted the wiring to it and melted the diverter as well. This melting rubber and plastic dropped down onto the two near injectors melting their wiring and plugs. Also even though the fuel pump was running, gas stopped getting to the fuel rail and the odor of gas was present. What did this guy do to his truck?? Is the damage to the fuel system irreversible? With starter fluid it starts right up.

Tags:
  2. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

The exhaust may be plugged, air dirvert valve meltdown?
    Sounds like a project.
    Proper testing, knowledge of the system. .... if cheep enough, it may be worth the gamble.

3. lazbiker

500 (five hundred)

4. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Sounds cheep enough.

5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Sounds like failed fuel pump relay. lucky it failed, or you would be replacing some fusible links
    Junkyard for air diverter valves, repair harness, remove switch, new relay, and ride for $600

6. lazbiker

I bought it. Replaced fuel relay, fuel circuit relay, the air diverted solenoid and air bypass solenoid, rewired the harness for emissions as well as pigtails for two fuel injectors, TPS, MAP SENSOR, un-kinked the fuel lines. Replaced a couple vacuum lines that were just not there, replaced the transmission modulator line that was not there. Now it starts and idles great, but dies when I step on the accelerator. Begins misfiring like hell or just dies.

7. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Check the codes, and post them.

8. lazbiker

Light is not on. It came on but went back off a couple times as I was working on it.

9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

It has soft codes in it then.

Is the throttle body tight?
    Sometimes bad throttlebody gasket can cause a issue
    You still have vacuum issue on light throttle. check diverter set up
    Do you have a diagram on the airbox?

10. lazbiker

There is not a diagram on the air box.

11. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Is it on the underside of the hood?

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso