Touch screen

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by Truck Runner, Mar 6, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Truck Runner

Anyone here managed to install a double din touch screen with GPS in a 1997-2003 F150? Its not quite double din so I think it its a little work, maybe a kit or something? Pictures, tips and brands, or any other advice you can give me. I don't mind doing some cutting but if someones been down this road before me it would be better.

Tags:
  2. macman_85602

Crutchfield and you tube have instructions to do it. Remember this is a one way street and the stock radio will not be able to be reinstalled.

My 03 was done before I got it and whoever did it did a hack job.

Lets get started....

Set the new Double Din unit in the opening and mark a line on the dash at the top of the radio where it is hitting.

Cut out the top at the line on the dash support to make the unit fit. Cut the opening small you can always trim more out for the best fit. There is a brace inside the dash near the back of the radio opening on some years that need to also be cut. Just be careful of the wires inside the dash. A dremal is very helpful to make your cuts although i have seen where it has been done with other tools, Mine looks like they busted it out with pliers.

Perform a dry fit of your unit to make sure it goes in correctly and has a nice tight fit again cut as little as possible.

Wire up your unit. Always use a wiring adapter to connect the unit to the factory wiring for the most professional install and for ease of replacement. I always solder my connections and use shrink tubing on all connections then tape them, over kill I know but you won't have a wire come loose or a bad crimp. Whoever did mine cut the connector off not happy when i saw that.

Test your wiring by connecting the unit with it out of the dash. make sure all your speakers are working correctly and your fade and balance are working correctly. If any corrections need to be made now is the time to do it. It sucks getting everything put together then finding an issue.

Once you are satisfied that it is all working install the unit in the dash. It should pop into place securely and have minimal movement some units come with a trim piece that screws to the heater controls install that. Test everything again.

Once the unit is installed in the dash see how much is going to need to be trimmed off the bezel. You will need to trim the top and file the bottom some to make it fit around the new unit. Again take your time! This is what everybody will see when they get in your truck. you don't want it to be a hack job.

Remember go slow and err on the side of caution you can always cut a bit more to get the right fit but you can't put it back once it's gone.

I know I am long winded but hope this helps.

Scott

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The route I want to go with my truck (2006) is a double-din touch screen Android based media center. Load up Google maps or Waze for mapping, and pretty much any Android app. Like Daily Roads Voyager for automatic loop dash cam recording.

4. dmilner321

I installed a double din off eBay. Pretty much went according to the above instructions.

On my F150 stock radio there are 2 connectors. I used one only. The other is just for communication with the CD unit

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso