Towing setup

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Critter, May 4, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

Alright, time to breathe some life in here.

I'm restoring my 81 Ranger Lariat F250 to be my towing truck. I'm looking for ideas and advice on the best setup for a gasoline powered tow truck.

Right now it is the under 8500lb truck, so big bore single piston front brakes and two inch wide drums out back. Monroe load handler shocks installed in the rear with Sensa-Tracs up front. I'm trying to set my bumper so I can install a seven pin trailer connector in the bumper. What else do I need?

Currently planning a ZF five speed conversion and classIV hitch.

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I would actually modernize, and go with the 89 f250 brake in the front, it has a 2 piston set up, and runs on sliders, instead of the wedge with the bolt setup.
    What rear do you have? is it a floater, or semi floater?

3. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

How can you visually tell the difference?

I'd probably have to swap to a ball joint twin I beam for the dual piston calipers you mentioned.

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Definately want ball joints no question about that. been there, done that, best improvment you will ever make on the front end.
    You will love the stopping power of the 2 piston rotor too.

Look at the rear axle. if it sticks through the drum, floater....Good!
    if thr axle is flat with the drum, semi floater, light duty, ok, but floater is much better for towing, and you can get a 2 1/2" shoe
    Both have a 10.25 ring gear.

5. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

Definitely a semi float axle. If I switch to full float axles, I can't use my center caps on the wheels I bought.

Can I seat the 2-1/2" shoes on a semi-float axle?

Also, installing a limited slip differential in the axle.

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

No. 2" shoes are as large as they go.
    I have a semi floater here that's limited slip, so they are out there.
    Still a good rear. will do well for most everything you want to do. small trailers under 10,000 lbs, etc

7. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

Should be under 10K as the Nissan weighs in at about 4k

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

That rear will be fine, but you will like the better front brakes, and the ability to set the camber in a front end alignment

9. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

Ok, so what else would I need?

10. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

well, some use surge brakes on the trailer, but I prefer a brake controller.
    Good mirrors that extend, or flip around
    Triangles in the box for breakdowns, or loading. I like a winch on the trailer, so you will need a second 7 pin plug to take advantage of the hot wire in the 7 pin on the truck for the winch
    Rubber tire blocks in case you have issues, and need to chock tires on tow vehicle or towing vehicle
    small rolling jack
    front tool box on trailer
    Make sure truck has load range 'E" tires on it
    I'm sure I, or others will chime in

Oh, and make sure to get one of those yellow with silver reflector vests for anyone going to load or unload the trailer.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso