Transfer Case Servicing; Seat Covers

Discussion in '1973 - 1979 Ford F100, F150, F250-F350 Truck Forum' started by laptopjockey, Aug 22, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. laptopjockey

Hi there

Long-time reader; first time poster, so if mixing topics like this is frowned upon I can adjust, thanks.

I have a 1977 F-150 4x4 that needs transfer case servicing. It's had a slow drip for a while and I want to top it up and lube as required. A couple of questions: What type and grade of gear oil should I use? Any tips about servicing most appreciated.

A related question is the 4H 4L shifter seems to be stuck and I wondered if that might be related.

Finally, I've been looking for a quality set of seat covers... any ideas where I can order / buy from?

Thanks.

John O"

Tags:
    iicap likes this.
  2. BlueOvalex

John,
    Welcome,Thanks for posting
    Important things first..
    Would be nice to know if your truck is auto or 4 spd.
    77 probably has the NP205 TF case.
    You say the 4 wd shifter is stuck, is it in 2H 4H or 4L.?

3. laptopjockey

Right - It's a manual transmission. The shifter is stuck in 4H. Thanks.

4. BlueOvalex

John,
    Really hard to answer questions with little information and not knowing your experience with 4x4
    What all have you done to try getting out of 4H.

Hopefully your truck is on gravel or sandy road as you know the manual transfer case should not be driven on dry hard surfaces in 4H or 4L

5. laptopjockey

BlueOvalex - I have some experience with basic repairs... oil changes, plugs, timing, generator and alternator replacement, etc. but none on the 'heavier' side of things. Hence my question. I'm only using the truck as a plow in the winter - my acreage driveway is a mile long - so it's currently parked on a gravel lot. I've tried different gear positions - neutral, reverse, etc. but haven't tried unlocking the hubs yet.

6. BlueOvalex

John,
    Kinda sounds like you tried all the tricks.
    I am by no means an experienced mechanic but I do my own work.
    Sometimes I have to back up a little and push the shifter forward to 2H as I suddenly let off the gas.
    Not saying that will work for you but it works for me.
    Next I would jack up the front axle so wheels are off ground and see if it will shift into 2H or N.
    As for Lube I use Lucas oil products. Look at the tab on the TF case to see the correct one. Probably NP205 but check for sure.
    If it is a NP 205 they take about 4 Pts. I drain my old fluid and refill to it runs out the filler hole.
    As for seat covers, Can't help there I am in my 70's and to my knowledge I have never purchased covers. Always went to JY and found something that will work.
    Like now I am looking for a set of leather bucket seats for my 79 250. May need to fabricate some brackets but will be nice when finished.
    I am sure others on here will also have some answers to your questions.
    iiCap is a good source of info.... Hopefully he will contribute..

7. iicap

Hey "laptopjockey" welcome aboard FTZ.

On stuck 4H Because this truck sits all year except for snow plowing, the linkage from the 4WD shifter handle at is base (prob has grease fitting) and the two clevis pins each end of link rod and the bar pins at transfer case are probably all frozen in their holes. Check all the pins to see if you can swivel them, if no, work on removing and freeing ALL before trying to shift again.

On Seat Cover a Google search on covers for your particular truck will take you to sources. If your up to it you can buy new seat upholstery kit for you truck, original like you have, or in my 66 I chose a Black Velour. Let us know how you make out.

8. laptopjockey

Thanks!

9. laptopjockey

Thanks iicap - Will give it all a look and get back to you.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >