transmission conversion

Discussion in '1987 - 1991 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by FordBoy89, Apr 3, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FordBoy89

Hey guys. I'm new here. I have 1989 ford f150, regular cab, longbed, 4.9L 300 engine with C6 transmission. I want to later upgrade to the Mazda 5spd overdrive so I can do some roadtrippin' in the truck. What I want to know is: How easy is it to convert from the C6 automatic to the Mazda 5spd overdrive? Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Getting the clutch pedal setup out of a donor cab is a good start.
    You will need that, as it is different than the auto
    You also need the wiring with the interlock switch for the clutch pedal, it will tie into the MLPS where the c6 shifts

You will also need the computer from the donor truck.

Flywheel, clutch master cyl. driveshaft, and transmission crossmember (crossmember is different)

There is also a plate in the floor that raises the level of the floor higher to fit the transmission in.

MO5 is not a real strong transmission, you should aim for a zf 5
    You can tell them at a glace, they have PTO cover plates on both sides, and the gearshift unbolts off a short shaft with 2 bolts above the transmission
    Usually the zf is in the f 250 with the 4.9

3. FordBoy89

So, that being the case, is it worth all of that?
    I mean...is it worth it to swap them?

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I was going to swap from zf to fr70w. I would need a stand alone controller, and since my truck is 4x4, 2 drive shafts cut, a crossmember, hanging pedal change, wiring

For me, no

I guess if you could get a parts truck, and it had everything you need, plus some other things, then part the rest out.

Maybe.
    In the end, maybe buy a truck with the manual transmission and use yours for parts for it?

Hard to say

Whatever you decide, we will be here to help

5. FordBoy89

Ok. As for using mine for parts...that's a big NO. Because mine is absolutely rust free. Unheard of for a farm truck which is what it was. Just has a huge dent in the bed. Thankfully, the previous "owners" were kind enough to rust proof the thing...by putting a leaky diesel tank in the back to refill machinery. So it...is...solid. Only 142,000 miles. I also have the #12 rear axle so that's nice.

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Probably if I were to do any swap, I'd look for a Aod, which is a overdrive without the computer, uses a tv cable to shift. found from 83-93.
    That way, you have the same 3 speed you have now , and overdrive.
    Gas mileage, and rpm at speed.
    Win, win
    and way less work

7. FordBoy89

Ok...sounds good. How is it on interstate tho? I mean I probably have to keep the thing in the 4000rpm range to just keep the minimum speed limit with the C6.

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

That would be the reason to go with the AOD

you will drop back in rpm at highway speed. Not sure what gear ratio you have in your truck.

9. FordBoy89

I think it is 2.73 ratio...I think. What about the E4OD?

10. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

The e in e4od stands for electronic
    It's a computer driven transmission

11. FordBoy89

Well it should work in mine right? Or is mine not computer controlled enough?

12. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

You would need the computer for 4.9 with e40d
    Along with the wiring harness, driveshaft,etc

13. FordBoy89

Oh...O...k. Just stick with the AOD...if i can find one. Can you do interstate with the C6?

14. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

with the 2.73 it should do ok at interstate speeds

15. FordBoy89

What about rpm range tho:nailbiting:that's what i'm worried about. I've heard it's not good on those engines to run any higher than 3000 for long periods.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >