Transmission cooler

Discussion in 'Towing, RV's, Campers and 5th Wheels' started by enriched, Jan 23, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. enriched

Well I seem to need to flush my transmission cooler on my 02' f150 fx4 4x4 with tow package, pretty sure it has the 4w70 ,

There seem to be some debate on some of the information weather it is worth flushing the transmission cooler and better off replacing it? Just was wondering if replacement is the better route? Or if flushing would be adequate and not too time consuming?

Then there is suggestion to replace it with the superduty transmission cooler if towing is done, this is the route I was thinking of going. If I replace with SD transmission cooler is there any modifications to fitting it in there? Also...What brands are recommended and what part number would it be for the SD transmission cooler ?

I don't tow often but when I do I press the limit.

I reason I conclude to need to flush the cooler is I have sprung leaks on the transmission cooler line, (the long one) after replacing it twice within the last year.

would I need to flush the radiator as well?

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

A bigger cooler is always a good idea when towing. Changing it when you are flushing is a good idea

I usually flush and change all my cooling systems every 5 years or 100,000 miles

3. enriched

Some other feed back I'm getting is that the Transmission coolers do not Flush well & that your better off replacing them. Especially on higher mileage truck like mine. So my endeavors are hinged in that direction of getting a larger one. Or at least a new one.

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Very true.
    Also, if you have a 4r70w, Ford sent a magnetic inline filter with the one I bought from them. You may want to check into one of those while the lines are open

5. enriched

Ok thanks ...do you recall which line that was ?? thanks for the subtle correction on the transmission correction 4r70w...not 4w70 fat fingers syndrome

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I use one of those inline filters on my F150, its good inexpensive insurance.

7. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

You guys have enough money to throw away perfectly good transmission coolers?

8. enriched

yes that's good idea & probably will after I get this ironed out....right now its like shutting the barn door after the livestock is out. ;)

Do you care to elaborate?? I'm open to other thoughts...but that is like leaving the barn door open and wondering why livestock runs all over:wideyed:

9. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

We flush coolers of all description successfully at the plant................depending on size, brake-kleen or gasoline run through them always yields successful results.

enriched likes this.
  10. enriched

Ahhh good to know thanks. I take it that when you flush these things that you have them hooked to a dedicated machine to do so??
    How long does it take? What kind of pressure is needed? Could positive results be obtained with just pouring either gas or brake kleen in, and give some air pressure to help back flush?

11. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

He is also wanting a larger cooler to tow trailers with Dave.
    Thinking that he would save money by changing the cooler out with the larger cooler, not flushing the smaller cooler, and changing to the larger one later.

12. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Usually we just let the cooler sit several days with the solvent of choice in it with the ends plugged, then we un-plug it, hook one line from our solvent tank pump up to it and pump the the cooler out using solvent tank (never had much luck with the solvent from the tank itself) once flushed of solvent, usually run water through it from the hose for a final flush, then hook one end of the cooler to a air hose and let the air blow through it for about 1/2 hour.............works every time.

13. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Personally I like the clean mount the F150 transmission cooler has, and it's a fair sized cooler. Maybe consider keeping it and mounting a couple of fans on in?

14. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

enriched likes this.
  15. enriched

^^Yeah...I'm not sure I have that much time frame...much rather have it done in a day. Still good to know thanks.

Something to consider for sure thanks!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso