Transmission Failure, P0720 Code Need Help

Discussion in '2004 - 2008 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by Criss, Feb 7, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Criss

2008 Ford F150 XL 2wd, 5.4L, 4R75W transmission (I think). Is my dads truck. Went to leave the house one one day a few weeks ago, had to give it a abnormal amount of gas for it to move but finally went and was okay till the drive home. CEL came on with a "reduced engine power" & "transmission failure" message on the message center. Pulled codes, had a P0720 (output shaft speed censor circuit) code. After code and failure message, truck still has reverse, but has no Drive, 2nd or 1st gear, will not go regardless of rpm. Changed OSS, and OSS connector and inspected harness. All good, and CEL went off. Truck would drive in all gears, but still was correct. At times it felt like it would slip out of gear, or take alot of rpm to go into any gear. Now it's back to having no Drive, 2nd, or 1st forward gears. Reverse still perfect. BUT, I'm stumped now because even after it was "fixed", and it's back to having no forwards gears, there's no check engine light, no messages on the message center. I have no codes to read to figure out the next step to take to repair. We changed the Transmission Range Sensor, with no change. Only thing left to change would be Turbine/Input shaft speed sensor. That's our next step in a week or 2. Other than that, I'm at a loss.... Any info would be greatly appreciated it, and if I left anything out please let me know. Thank you.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Reverse and 2nd (when manually put into 2nd) usually always work because they are failsafe gears for when the PCM can't communicate with them properly.

So it's it's completely out on all forward gears, it's mostly likely the forward drum. The snap ring and forward drum are a weak point on those transmissions. There's a revised heavy duty part most builders should be using these days.

3. Criss

Sorry for the late reply. But, that's helpful info. I know nothing about it, but after a lil research, I'm really thinking it's shot and it's probably something like that. It'll probably end up being pulled and I'll take it somewhere and someone look into it and probably a rebuild. I appreciate the reply!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >