< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. tvpitts

I am lost on how to mount the bed & level it on my 53 F100. I have looked on youtube but could not find any videos on the subject. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tags:
  2. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

Hi TV,
    first make sure you have all the parts... 4 bed crossmembers, two side panels, one front panel, a tailgate and a bucket full of hardware. If you don't have all the correct hardware, I'd suggest a call or visit to midfifty.com for the "I need it all" package... it will save you time and money.

THE BASE

There are several ways to do this and your available help might determine the right course. You first need to set up the crossmembers. The "Z" shaped one goes next to the bed and attaches to the crossmember mounts on the outside of the frame rails... Just tighten hardware finger tight.

[​IMG]#ad

Continue with the middle two crossmembers paying attention to their orientation. They mount on the slope of the frame rail and need to be positioned so that the top is level
    [​IMG]#ad

Then to the rear cross member which bolts to the frame rails on each side.

[​IMG]#ad

that makes up the 'base for the bed. Don't forget the rubber spacers that prevent squeeks.

THE BED

depending on the amount of room you have and available 'holders' I would assemble the bed on a flat floor, bolting the front panel to the sides. But if your are cramped for room you can do one panel at a time starting with the front then the two sides. Large welding clamps will help with the 'holding' if working alone..

Don't worry about plumb and square till you get it set on the truck, it's gonna be flexible and wobbly . I fabbed up a 'bed dolly' to build my bed on.

[​IMG]#ad

It was built to frame dimensions. It put it at a decent working level. I'm old and don't do floor level work very well. I had to work alone and used ratchet straps suspended from the ceiling to lift my assembled bed off the dolly and rolled the truck under it. I just suspended it from each corner hole in the bed side flange so I'd have an even pull on all sides.

when you set the bed on the frame crossmembers, don't forget to put in spacers to replicate the bed wood... 3/4" 1x2 lumber is perfect and do one at each bolting point on the crossmember.

[​IMG]#ad

Everything is finger tight still and you can start plumbing and squaring the bed before tightening the bolts. Magnetic levels help with plumbing. I also used some 1/2 pieces cut the the inside dimension of the bed and a strap to keep the bed sides from leaning in or out. this helps with the squaring. Vice grip clamps will hold it in place while working.

The magnets will give you a rough idea if it's square but you need to pull diagonal dimensions to get it right. Of course this is all preliminary if you are building on a dolly and will have to be checked and adjusted once its on the truck.

[​IMG]#ad

Once you get it plumb and square... you're done. Tighten things down and check your measurements again... add your tailgate now if you want.

hope this helps

3. tvpitts

iicap likes this.
  4. tvpitts

John, You are awesome. that is the best info on installing the truck bed I have seen anywhere. I don't know if you know how much help that is for me. Thank you so much.
    Tvpitts

iicap and jniolon like this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >