Truck ignition switch issues

Discussion in '2004 - 2008 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by Shadow69, Oct 28, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Shadow69

I have a 04 F 150 . 140,000. Very nice condition n runs very well. When i turn key to start...it will crank..but not start.. radio will go off..or no volume...interior lights mite come on or not..ot go off.. dash works ok.. if it starts...it will stumble n die.. i mite jiggle key...turn on n off couple of times..then try n start..it will run then..but may stumble a bit while driving sum times. Brand new battery..recent starter. ...when it runs..it runs like I stole it..but when I cut it off ...no matter where we are..it's the same routine until it starts. Is it the ignition switch? There are no codes showing. I have to get this fixed so I can get my wife to her doctor appointments. Not much money...sighhh

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Either the ignition switch, or I've seen it do similar things if the position sensor for the automatic transmission gear selector isn't sensing it's in park. If you jiggle that, and it starts up fine then that's probably what it is.

3. Shadow69

Thnx...it doesn't seem to make any diff.. it does same if itsitneutral or park. Or if I move it thru all gears or jiggle it.

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

When Ken says ignition switch, he doesn't mean the key part
    On your truck, it's under the column, and it's probably out of adjustment, or just plain ole loose.

5. Shadow69

Well , it was explained to me by a mechanic....thr are two parts to the ignition switch...the cylinder whr the key goes in n turns...and another electronic switch that is activated by the cylinder switch...that one sits right behind the cylinder n controls all the functions.. starting...lights..radio etc.. apparently it breaks down over time like a switch on ur table lamp and needs Replaced.

6. Shadow69

IMG_20180427_124839.jpg #ad

dustybumpers likes this.
  7. Shadow69

Ok. I'm gonna try one more time. Then I will consider this site a bust. Where is the ignition switch located on the 2004 Ford F150? Not...the key n cylinder that you turn to start..but the actual switch that controls the electrics when you go to start. I have looked on line for pics or a diagram of its exact location but no luck.

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Don't blame the site, I told you in # 4

Take the dash panel off the bottom of the dash, and look up at the bottom of the column. it's right there in front of you on the bottom of the column

9. Shadow69

Ok..thnx..apparently my page wasnt loading fully and i I did not see it.. i had trouble posting to.

10. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I'll report the problem to Ken

Shadow69 likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >