Ranger Truck Not Starting

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by subsecret, Nov 25, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. subsecret

1987 Ranger with 2.9 V6...

I replaced the low pressure fuel pump, and the fuel rail now has good pressure. It'll crank, but won't start; I think the injectors might have gone, because they ran a few times with no fuel. Should I replace them?

Thanks.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'd do an Ohm test to see if there are any internal shorts in any of them causing them not to fire:

Then do this cleaning procedure:

You aren't doing the cleaning to actually clean them, but to see if the injector is actually spraying, so you don't replace any that don't need it.

3. subsecret

Thanks so much. I'll check this out.

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

check your fuseable links, my 88 2.9 ranger burned a link out when I ran the injectors dry

5. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I had a 87 B2 that had the identical problem, check the relays on the pass. side fender well.

6. subsecret

I checked the relays. The fuel pump relay was bad, and I had to bypass it in order to get fuel into the rail. But the pumps work fine.

7. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

There is also a signal wire from the relay to the computer to fire the injectors.

8. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Inertia switch gone bad?.................jumper it out.

9. subsecret

I just cut the wires to the inertia switch and spliced them together. The fuel pumps run great, it's just that the engine isn't starting. I'm planning to dig into it tomorrow to test the injectors, so wish me luck, and thanks for the speedy help.

Happy Thanksgiving!

10. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

FPR (fuel press. regulator) is also a suspect.

11. subsecret

Cleaning the intake manifold...

I accidentally dropped some engine grit into the intake manifold, which contains who knows what. Should I remove the intake manifold to clean it, or should I leave it in place and try to vacuum the junk out? Do I need to de-mesh the distributor gear in order to remove the distributor, or is there a splined/keyed shaft that it slides off of? The diagrams I looked at didn't tell me much about this.

Thanks.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >