truck progress update

Discussion in '1948 - 1952 Ford F1, F2 and F3 Truck Forum' started by gwilkrrs, Dec 11, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. gwilkrrs

spent a bit of time with the truck-
    the motor is now put back together and closed up. now I need to install the fuel system (pump/filter) and run the lines, run the brake lines and sort out the steering column and linkage.
    figured out the headers don't fit so that needs addressed.
    long way to go but progress.

IMG_5328.JPG #ad
    IMG_5321.JPG #ad

Tags:
  2. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

Hey GW the truck is coming along... I see you have an identical firewall to my 53... 1000 holes, most punched in with a phillips head screwdriver.. Do me a favor and wrap some foam rubber or cloth around those frame rails and running board brackets... your shins will thank you... you're gonna learn some new words when you hit those things...

later
    John

gwilkrrs and dustybumpers like this.
  3. gwilkrrs

So spent a couple hours this am on the truck again-
    Sure wish I had seen this post prior-
    Stitches aren’t required but close, and I didn’t say a word good or bad......
    my shin found the running nag board bracket at speed-

I will get foam pipe insulation to cover for the next time I am working on it for sure-

I got the fuel tank out and the shock x member out so I can prep the frame for the fuel and brake lines, and fab the rear x member up for bolt in application.

A bit of another step back but we are moving forward correctly albeit slowly

Thanks for the idea of protection!

dustybumpers likes this.
  4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

LOL, that's why they say it takes blood, sweat, and tears to build one!

gwilkrrs likes this.
  5. John06

Great project. Do any of you guys know if the Crown Vic front suspension fits the F1? I know there are a lot of F100 swaps. Are the F1 and F100 frames similair?

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Short answer is no
    The crown vic is wider than the F1

I have heard of people using off set wheels, but that may or my not work out

7. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

F1 frames are two inches narrower forward of the front cab mounts than what the F100's are 32Inches for the F-1 and 34 for the F100's ,the crown vic's are even tight for the 53-56 but guys are using them with the right off set wheels..

dustybumpers likes this.
  8. gwilkrrs

had another productive day.
    -removed the motor/transmission for ease of access
    - drilled access holes in the frame boxing plates for fuel/brake lines and electric
    -installed rear shock x member and shocks
    -installed rear fuel tank
    -fabricated rear x member
    -installed clips on bed x members so the bed bolts to side of frame instead of thru topside of wood.
    -fabricated/installed a shield/mounting plate for the fuel pump and filter

now to figure out plumbing the brake lines------

IMG_5574.JPG #ad
    IMG_5575.JPG #ad

dustybumpers likes this.
  9. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

That blower is going to be sweet when it fires up! Are you going EFI or carb?

10. gwilkrrs

thanks Ken. It should whistle a bit..... I am going with a carburetor to start but may try to switch to efi later. (I already have the Holley carb)

11. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

If you run into any issues getting it dialed in, head over to www.superchargerforums.com. Yeah, its one of my forums but that's not why I recommend it. I honestly don't know a lot about carb setup on superchargers, but there are several guys there with carb setups who have a lot of experience with them on older vehicles, from mild to wild. EFI makes is easy, especially since many of them can auto-tune to get it up and running very quickly, then adjust it manually for any fine tuning... but it can get expensive versus a carb. :(

12. gwilkrrs

I apriciate it. I don't know of the site and will visit. I am quietly looking at the efi systems as I know I will like it better in the long run but I am marching ahead with what is already bought.

now I am searching on how to run the break lines..... power MC under the floor with 4 wheel disks. I have the adjustable proportioning valve, 2 pressure redidual valve (2lb). I think I need a switch in there too.......

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >