Truck shopping

Discussion in '2004 - 2008 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by Basically Crazy, Sep 19, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Basically Crazy

Hey I'm truck shopping and looking to get something a little smaller than the F250 but not the Ranger so the F150 is it. I'm not sure yet what I want and I'm open to different years so I'm questions in a bunch of sections.

What things do I need to check closely with a 2004-08 F150? I want a 4x4 but honestly I don't use it enough to spend the extra money if I can save some bucks with two wheel drive. Is limited slip standard on these? Best gear ratio for daily driving?

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

If it's a 5.4L do yourself a favor and stick with 2007 - 2008 as they have the revised heads which use traditional spark plugs instead of the problem prone 2 piece plugs.

On any 5.4L listen for metallic ticking noise near the front of either valve cover --- a sign the cam phaser is going out. Especially on the passenger side.

Driveshaft split slop in some of them. When test driving you want to do this uphill and downhill: give it normal steady throttle and then let off the throttle quickly. A slight "bump" you feel with most cars/trucks is okay, but get a feel for if the drive train seems to have too much of a "clunk" --- a sign the yoke is worn or at least needs to be packed with grease.

57FordGuy and JWC 3 like this.
  3. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

What Ken said. ....

56panelford likes this.
  4. 57FordGuy Founding Member

I have a 2008 4x4. I think it has the 3.73/1 ratio rear. I have 20" rims and slightly taller than stock tires and I'm getting @16 MPG.

Mine hasn't given me too many problems. But some I found researching were: 1) front vacuum operated 4WD actuators could fail making a grinding noise eventually needing to be fully replaced. 2) afore mentioned plugs might start to fail making the truck shutter at a particular speed usually towing or going up a steep hill. 3) sometimes a shutter will be because a fuel regulator module behind the spare tire will corode and give the ECM wrong information.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >