Truck speaks French

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by jrr14427, Oct 27, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. jrr14427

Hello newbie on deck, just picked up a 2017 xl. Super Dutry. Very clean, low miles, interior features are very minimal. Love the truck but I have a baffling situation. Upon starting the truck and shutting the truck down I get brief messages coming through my speakers.....in French? There are no reset buttons no sync menu the truck as far as I can tell doesnt even have bluetooth. I have searched the interweb I even called my local dealership, no help for my situation at all. Truck was out of the Kentucky plant and I dont know what to do. Has anyone ever heard of this problem or had any experience with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tags:
  2. Biffster

Does it have a well built girl wearing a "Maids Outfit"? if so, I'll trade you!
    I did not know you could change the language on the truck.
    Does it have an After Market Radio or GPS?

3. jrr14427

No very basic all stock. I know it may sound kind of funny.... I get it, but really would like some help with this situation. There has to be someone out there that could provide helpful info on this situation.Thanks

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Language setting should be in the Language or General menu.

5. jrr14427

Thank you FTZ, but yes I have done the language reset on the head unit and drivers display. The written word on all displayed items are in English but when I start the truck and shut down the truck through my speakers I get the french messages. I think it is stating something in regards to the "operation system please" in french start upon starting the truck and something totally different upon shutting the truck down, also in french. This has to be the first thing that I have researched on the web and haven't found a single remedy to end this other then what most of us think, that it is in the language selection, but it aint.

6. Obe Vet Zone

As far as I know, the truck engine/transmission control systems do not communicate verbal messages through the Sync Module and only communicate messages to the dashboard display. That means the sound you are hearing is coming from the Sync module - it controls all audio with exception of the dashboard notifications (the dings and bells). Since you have already reset the language in Sync, you might want to try downloading the current version of your Sync (you have either Sync 2 or 3). Reloading the Sync may correct the issue.

How to check your SYNC software version (ford.com)

Update Ford SYNC® & Navigation Maps | Ford Owner Support

How do I install a SYNC software update? (ford.com)

Since you bought a used vehicle; are you sure that there are no aftermarket accessories attached to the Sync module (like a Naviks adapter)?

7. jrr14427

Obe I really appreciate your input on my delimma, but my truck doesn't have SYNC it doest even have Bluetooth very basic. I'm really stumped and it is so very dissapointing because this truck is in truly phenomenal codition and this french gibberish is so annoying. And I really do not feel like going to my local Ford dealershp and end up paying 200-300 just to a tech look at it.

8. Obe Vet Zone

Post a picture of your console.

9. jrr14427

Will do sir, post it tomorrow. Thanks

10. Obe Vet Zone

Have you tried resetting your system? With the vehicle off, disconnect the negative (ground) terminal from your battery post. Then remove the positive terminal from the battery post. If equipped with two batteries, take terminals off both batteries. Use a jumper cable to jumper between the negative terminal and the positive terminal (NOT THE BATTERY POSTS!). Turn on your headlights. Jumpering the terminals and turning on the lights will drain off capacitive power in the system. Leave the terminals disconnected and jumpered for at least 30 minutes. Turn off headlights, reconnect the positve and negative terminals to your battery(ies) in that order. If keyed ignition, turn the key to the RUN position (do not start, and not the Aux power position). If pushbutton start, push the button without depressing the brake pedal. Wait at least 10 seconds then start the vehicle. Let it idle for 5-10 minutes then take it for a drive. This resets any adaptive memory so the system will relearn your driving habits, which is probably something you should do anyway since your purchased it used. It may also reset any settings that may be causing your truck to speak frog.

If that doesn't work, yell at your truck that it is surrounded. It will surrender.

11. jrr14427

Once again Thanks Obe for taking the time to try and hep my situation it is greatly appreciated! I'm currently working on installing a kill switch for the truck. I will try the steps you have suggested and will post the pic yoyu asked for. Thank you again my brother!

12. jrr14427

Well Obe did all the steps and thank you again but she still speaking frog. Here are the pics an a couple of short videos of start and shut off. Next step I guess will be the dealership.

dash.jpg #ad

13. Obe Vet Zone

Unless there is some submenu in the entertainment system settings or dashboard settings, I'm stumped! Only other thing I can think of is to get a copy of FORscan and delve into the system settings if you are comfortable with that but I don't recall a language setting in the data lists. FORscan offers a two-month extended license trial. If you ever do find out what the issue is, please post it!

Download FORScan

14. Obe Vet Zone

Are you sure you don't have any aftermarket security or remote start system installed in that vehicle?

15. jrr14427

Hey Obe , first off I just want to Thank for taking the time to try and help with my situation. And no sir, no security system or remote start either. I am looking into the FORscan but I want to be sure I get fimiliar and some sort of know how before I start messing around. Thanks again my friend and I will keep you updated if things change.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >