Truck wont start

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by Don17, Dec 16, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Don17

Replaced starter and wont start. Can jump silenoid with screwdriver and it starts. What could be wrong?

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Could be the solenoid you are jumping is the problem.
    They either go bad, by not starting, or by staying engaged and overrunning the starter
    Make sure the wire is on the S terminal of that solenoid, and try again. If no luck, replace with a Motocraft unit
    If you replace with aftermarket, you stand a chance of it failing in a short amount of time. I have had them fail in as short as 1 week after replacing one

Could very well be you replaced the starter, and the solenoid was your problem to begin with

3. Don17

So even if the silenoid starts truck by using screwdriver it could be bad?

4. Don17

How can i tell if solenoid is bad? Anyway to test it?

5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Whack it without breaking it.
    There is a copper disc in there, and what happens, over time the arc created from starting burns the copper up to where there is no surface left to make a connection anylonger
    a short between the two posts skips the disc, so boom, the starter fires.

IDK, short of having a spare there really isn't a good test that I'm aware of

I keep a box of them on my desk in the shop, because of the amount and age of my fleet

6. Don17

Ok ill replace that and see if that fixes it.

dustybumpers likes this.
  7. masakimm Vet Zone

Could also be an ignition switch problem make sure you are getting 12 volts on the trigger wire. It wont do a thing if it don't know to do it.

dustybumpers likes this.
  8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Mikeal is right, test for voltage in the s wire while someone holds the key to start

9. White 97 XLT

If no power on trigger wire make sure it is in park good or the clutch is pushed completely to the floor, depending on whether it's auto or stick..

dustybumpers likes this.
  10. Don17

If i dont get anything at the wire, does that mean solenoid is bad?

11. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Was someone holding the key in start when you were testing?

12. Don17

I havent done it yet will be in morning, was just wondering so i know when i do it . If theres nothing what does that mean?

13. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Pull the s wire off the solenoid, put a test light in it, and the clamp end on ground.
    Have someone turn on the key like they are starting the truck. If it lights, you have a bad solenoid
    If not, could be bad ignition switch, or neutral safety switch

Test that first, then we go from there

14. Don17

Ok thank you, i will try that and get back to you.

15. Don17

Is the s wire the small wire ?

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >