Tunes, Man... Need Some Tunes...soon

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by jniolon, Jul 18, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

not there yet but thinking ahead.... wondering what's being used in 53-56 trucks for a sound system... don't need 1200 watts with double woofers... just some comfortably strong sound... with CD/DVD . Probably looking for a remote with head unit in panel under dash... educate me on options..

thanks
    john

Tags:
  2. Scot Founding Member

Don't look at me. I still have a cassette player that was pretty good tech in 1989 when 'i bought it.

That being said, I originally had 6x9's mounted in the kick panels and had to drop to 5 1/4 or 6" round when I swapped to the A/C vent in the kick panel. I miss the richer sound of the 6x9's.

Stereo is mounted in overhead console made of Texas Mesquite.

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

What about going with something that supports digital music files, like MP3 files? Once you go that route you'll wonder why you ever used CDs. Rip the CDs to files using Windows Media Player, then save to a USB stick to transfer to the car's sound system.

dustybumpers likes this.
  4. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Can you individually select a given tune with this method or does it play the sequence the tunes were down loaded to the stick, hope that makes sense.

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The systems they have now let you select individual tunes, select playlists, albums, random shuffle, etc.

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Almost forgot to ask... do you have a smartphone like an Android phone or iPhone?

7. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

If that was directed at me have no modern conveniences of that sort....lol

dustybumpers likes this.
  8. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Oh, then never mind. I was going to suggest finding a system that supports blue tooth. Then you don't have to worry about it's features, you can stream your music from your phone.

One that has a USB port is still a good idea, and usually don't add anything to the cost these days.

dustybumpers likes this.
  9. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Do you know if the rough openings are standard for most stereo systems? I have to mock up a console for this pickup and wondered just how much room I'd need.

10. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

John, you can get most of the dimensions on Best Buy's web site.

I had my head unit in the console between the seats on my 56.

I like the idea Ken had about running tunes from my smart phone or tablet.

56panelford likes this.
  11. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Yeah, if you run your tunes from a Bluetooth enabled stereo, you can always upgrade your sound system's features simply by upgrade your tablet's software (usually free or under $5) or upgrading the tablet. So long as new technology is backwards compatible with Bluetooth, you'll have an upgrade path that won't require touching the sound system in the truck.

12. Scot Founding Member

Size wise, there is DIN and double DIN. That corresponds to a universal size among manufacturers.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >