Turn signals blowing fuse

Discussion in '1973 - 1979 Ford F100, F150, F250-F350 Truck Forum' started by BluebyNight, Apr 26, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. BluebyNight Vet Zone

Trying to troubleshoot a turn signal issue. The truck is a 76’ F250 4x4. The problem is that it keeps blowing the fuse and it also doesn’t cancel. I’m guessing there is a short somewhere in the circuit or maybe it’s the turn signal switch? Just curious if anyone has experienced a similar issue and how they fixed it. The trucks wiring is all stock with no aftermarket dodads

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Check for a bad bulb first before you tear into the wiring. Many times the filament breaks, and crosses over the other one

Second one make sure there is not a trailer wire in the back.

The self cancle is a broken cam on the unit in the column and will need to be replaced

3. BluebyNight Vet Zone

Ahh I forgot about the trailer lights... good call. I’ll take a peak at the bulbs as well thank you

4. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I've seen dogs chew the trailer wires often, causing a short.

5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I've seen guys wrap the trailer wires around the ball, then hook the trailer up

later wonder why the lights shorted out

6. 1978 FORD Supercab

I had a 1963 Buick LeSabre that suddenly developed a problem with its lights. Whenever i turned them on whether parking lights, OR full headlights, the fuse blew. So i did the simplest check first. I looked for a short in the wiring. I looked at all the bulbs and sockets, nothing looked bad. But when I opened up the trunk, i saw that the little rubber grommet(?) had come loose from its hole, allowing the license plate light's wiring to rub and eventually cut the insulation. It caused the short. It didn't have any trailer wiring. B.T.W. I was the 2 nd owner and bought it from the Original Owner in about '85 or '86. They sold it to me because I always admired it. I even took it on a road trip to: St.Louis MO, then out to Maryland, Atlantic City NJ, and back home to WI with no mechanical problems. Best car that i have ever owned.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >