Twin I beam interchange

Discussion in '1967 - 1972 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Philthytoo, Aug 4, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Philthytoo

Does anybody know what interchange ability there is in the Twin I Beam parts between years of trucks?
    I have a 1967 F350 single rear wheel truck, and have a shot at a complete 1997 F350 Dually front end: I-beams, radius arms, springs, hubs, disc brakes and lug nuts. Everything except the wheels. Even if only the spindles interchange I think it would be a respectable upgrade.
    Thanks, Phil

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Twin i-beam parts interchange between 65-79. 80+though they had twin i-beams they are longer than 65-69 i-beams and don't interchange. King pin size is different too, so even if the spindles physically fit the king pins won't fit without machine work. They've been swapped before but I don't think it would be cheap.

3. Philthytoo

Thanks! From what I've found so far the '97 uses upper/lower ball joints to attach the spindle to the beams, so machining my beams for the '97 king pins (that apparently don't exist) wouldn't work anyway. This deal on parts will have to go to somebody else.

4. iicap

Something to consider. With twin eye beam suspensions, alignment. Toe In is the easiest thing to do. Caster and Camber are engineered correct for the truck when it's built. JUST switching from a V-8 to a I-6 or vice-versa will put less or more weight on the front end. IF you change the weight on the front end, you change the, Camber. On eye beam axles the only way to correct Camber, is have the axle bent to spec. Not easy and I don't think alignment shops that had the devices were ever fond of doing, if you could find one that would do it. Remember, twin eye beam axles going up and down, swing in an arc. So keeping your suspension stock (for tire wear and handling) is you best bet. If your after disc brakes, finding that set up from a kingpin front end is where I'd look.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >