Upgrades!

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by chopper, Sep 7, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. chopper

Hey all, I have a 2002 f150 FX4 with the 5.4. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions about some of the best upgrades I could do for around $800-$1,000. whether they are cosmetic or mechanical. It's already sitting on 33" Toyo M/T's and has a CAI.

Thanks in advance for your Idea's!

Here's a picture of the truck
    IMG_20180728_145914855.jpg #ad

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Custom SCT tuning, big bang for the buck.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  3. chopper

Thank you. Is this something I'd have to take it to a shop to get done or are you talking about a buying a preset tuner?

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

You can get good custom tunes for trucks with minor bolt-ons without going to a shop. Only with things like injector changes, superchargers and turbos do you really want to get it on a dyno at a shop. I used to do a lot of tuning back in the day with my shop, mail order too, for those trucks, did hundreds of remote tunes like that. So any competent Ford tuning shop who does mail order can help.

Cosmetic wise...

LED exterior lights can be night and make it easier to see at night, if you like the look of them.
    Tailgate damper, they run about $20.
    Acetone'd badges or badge insert decals.

I have plenty of other mechanical and cosmetic suggestions, and will post those later. Wife let me know dinner is ready so I have to run for about an hour.

dustybumpers likes this.
  5. chopper

Thanks for the suggestions. I really appreciate all your feedback! I have been thinking of doing some led headlights and maybe some amber cab lights.

6. NRA4ever Founding Member

I agree about the sct tuning. I used it on my 5.4. I gained 3 mpg using the race tune. Don't know why but it was the only tune that helped. I have led headlights and for lights in my truck. They make a huge difference. They are dot certified and legal. I really like the pure white light they offer

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

LED headlights are a big win, and I agree they make a huge difference. If you get them make sure you aim them good so you don't blind oncoming cars.

A full exhaust system helps too, if you have intake kit (or GOTS mod) so the entire system flows air better.

Leveling kit.

Remove any slack on the throttle body cable, this gives a slight increase in off the line throttle response.

Cosmetic, lots of things you can do there:

- Plastic trim paint if you have any faded trim.
    - Custom exterior badges
    - Custom FX4 decals
    - Grill lights
    - Interior LED bulb swap
    - Paint parts under the hood
    - Strip LED lights on the bottom lip of the tailgate
    - High temp brake caliper paint
    - Vinyl emblem overlays

Also, you can get a 7" Android based touch screen with WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, Radio, etc. Pretty much everything for under $200 on Amazon. Most any Android app will run on them so the sky's the limit with functionality, including DVR camera, backup camera, etc.

8. Spoiledrotten

Mine is the 2000 7.3. I replaced my headlights with LED. Replaced the stock stereo with navigation/stereo, backup cam, smart phone compatibility.
    Replaced stock muffler with the BTM. Replaced stock grill. Replaced air box with large air filter. Added pillar gauges. New upholstery. Added air horn (that already saved us). 6C0FA49C-6AFB-4759-B29F-9906C3562FBC.jpeg #ad

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso