urethane frame paint on engine block

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by jniolon, Jun 4, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

Hi guys..
    I have a question about paint and engines... I used Sherwin-Williams Sunfire Acrylic Urethane paint on my truck frame. I think I want to have the same color on the '460'. I'm wondering if this paint would handle the temperatures of an engine block ??

I put a question on the sherwin-williams site but who knows when that will be answered... their site is less than user friendly for a non professional...

any ideas ???

thanks
    John
    DSC03217.jpg #ad

Tags:
  2. Bigwin56f100 Founding Member

other than where the headers or exhaust manifolds bolt on it should be fine, in the area of manifold contact on the 460 even engine paint has a hard time

3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I used the same PPG paint on my engine I used on the body.
    Did that back in 2001, and it is holding up fine
    332b4ac12c8b9e189582e6cf2e89be9a.jpg #ad

I did use a high temp rattle can primer under it, not sure if it made any difference or not

ab7fa24025d5f48f28352a2186f64615.jpg #ad

332b4ac12c8b9e189582e6cf2e89be9a.jpg #ad

4. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Should have kept that one Charlie :)

5. havi

Jon, we're switching to S/W at work, I can ask the rep and tech what they think, but I'd hazard a guess it'll hold up fine, except the exhaust area, as mentioned. Painted a GM 350 Cadillac pink, and it held up, but the exhaust port areas turned yellow, didn't burn off really.

6. Paul Masley Founding Member

John, it will hold up fine providing you do two things, prep well and near the headers, keep it thin. I would not use a clear, it will turn yellow and crack. Urethane is more flexible than epoxy. You picked a good choice on the frame. I have seen two stage epoxy crack during frame twist.

7. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I have a buddy that is an AMC nut . He has had paint mixed and painted Many engines with good results ! His family has many that I have assisted with .
    I would expect no problems , other than mentioned above .

8. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

Img_0439.jpg #ad
    Img_0440.jpg #ad
    never did post a follow up after paint

dustybumpers likes this.
  9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Looks great John!

10. Paul Masley Founding Member

Yes it does!

11. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Looking good. Stainless headers?

12. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

They look like ceramic coated headers Ken, same as I have on my panel.

13. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

Sanderson's ceramic coated

14. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

My polished stainless long tube headers looked pretty similar. I guess the metal color of the powder coating worked... it fooled me! :)

15. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Mine turned sort of a grey colour after they've been run, they are much shinier out of the box. Did your stainless turn blue? A friend just gave me a used set of stainless headers for a small block that are completely blued.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >