V8 swap from inline six

Discussion in '1961 - 1966 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Jamiemx21, Mar 17, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Jamiemx21

I have a 65 f100 its been in the family since 71 its all original except the transmission i got it out of an 80s model f150 with a long tailshaft and also got the drives haft out of the same 80s f150 but hasn't ran since 2004 I parked it cause it slung a rod in the old 240 inline 6 been wanting to get her running again lately and bought the engine perch mounts to swap it to 302 or 351w but my question is will my 3 speed transmission bolt up to the 302 ? Or also has anyone done a t5swap on there truck ? Either way would be fine with me to go with would love to have a 5 speed tho for more gear and better gas mileage hahaha

Tags:
  2. iicap

Welcome to FTZ. Small block V-8 not offered in 65, would have been 352, or optional 390. Your in line 240 and the small block 289, 302, 351 share the same rear of block bolt pattern and will bolt up. NOTE... the six and V-8's are balanced differently. One is externally balanced, the other internally, I'm not sure which applies to which. YOU MUST use the V-8 flywheel on the V-8. As far as bolting up, I also put a 123O transmission from a 1980's in my 66 F-250, mentioned below. The transmission tho a bolt in SUCKS!! You have to slip the clutch in 1st and reverse to start off with out stalling. I do have tall 750-16 rubber, smaller rubber on an F-100 make it any better, who knows.

On the T5, I've recently started looking into that. Tho used in/by many, I've no decision made. From a Mustang or a Ford product that used it behind a small block V-8 seems the most likely candidate. Thinking that Ford would stay with an existing bell housing pattern and Tremac (I believe originally Borg Warner) would make the main case for Fords with Fords 4 bolt pattern. For my F-250, I don't like the shifter being so rearward, even with the 2 positions offered.

I don't know just what perches you need to use for the small block into your 65, sorry.

Do come back and let us know how you make out, we like pictures too, cap

3. Jamiemx21

Thanks for the info its appreciated.. I ordered my engine perch mounts from cj ponies they were 75 bucks and also allow room for if I want to add the coil over suspension in the front which that ill probably never do at first but maybe down the road some but thanks for the help im also planning on removing the old clutch pedal assembly to the mid later 80s style with hydraulic clutch cause I know the old clutch rod and stuff will not bolt up to the 302 but its a work in progress and any information that you guys have ran into making a swap like this is very helpful thanks

4. iicap

Seeing as your intend a hydraulic clutch. You open up the opportunity to use other 5 speed over drive Ford transmissions with integral bell housings. As far as the small V-8 not having the boss for the clutch equalizer shaft ball to attach, you can fab a decent strong bracket for the ball, mounting it to the bell housing bolts at the block. Also you might look to a using your original pedal ass'y to operate clutch master cyl. 57 till 60 Ford used hyd clutch master and slave cylinder set ups in F series with swinging pedals. Just something else for you to investigate.

Jamiemx21 likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >