Veterans Zone VETERANS organizations that are honestly helpful

Discussion in 'Veterans Zone' started by Greywolf, May 6, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

~ Just like it says, post up in here about any organizations that are for real about helping VETS

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

One suggestion to everyone, vet or not:

If you get a call, don't donate. It doesn't matter which vet charity it is. Even if the vet charity itself is well respected and efficient, the odds are 99.9% the people who are calling are not actually the charity itself, but a for profit company contracted with the charity to help them raise funds. The charity itself will receive 10-15%, 20% if they are lucky. The call will typically tug on your heart strings with words like "war heroes", "disabled", "injured", "can we count on you?", etc.

The charities contracting this type of telemarketing even include some of the long time groups like the VVA, VFW and DVA. The same applies to fund raisers for police and firefighters.

If you want to give to any charity, write them a check directly!

TeamBrahma and KW5413 like this.
  3. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I always suspected that. They also develop call lists that they sell to other organizations.

4. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Ken's talking charities. But what about organizations?

How many here are a member of the American Legion? In their email today, they talked about how many never joined the legion because no one ever asked them to.

5. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Does it cost anything?
    You got a link for that?

I've always been subliminally aware of them - they have outposts you can't miss in lots of towns.

But what are they like? What are they all about?

6. Bertha66 Vet Zone TOTM Winner Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The Band of Brothers here in Central Oregon do a lot helping; Brothers helping Brothers. Does not cost to join, or be a member. I belong to to Band in Prineville Or.; we have 554 members as of yesterday. Not bad for a town of less than 10,000 people. And I know of a lot of Vets that are not members here. The club works with other Vet organizations here like the VFW.

7. Archion Vet Zone Article Contributor

8. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Like most other stuff, you get out what you want to and what you put in. For some, it's just a place to hang out. For others, they do a whole lot more. (many Legion halls have a bar in them)

Here's links to the last few news letters.

http://editor.legionemail.com/vo/?F...d1d-26d7f29683c9&MailID=29922796&listid=84772

http://editor.legionemail.com/vo/?F...d1d-26d7f29683c9&MailID=29916855&listid=84772

http://editor.legionemail.com/vo/?F...d1d-26d7f29683c9&MailID=29881022&listid=84772

9. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

What about VFW?

I have no info about a lot of these things because I have been a stay at home dealing with my own problems.

Not least of which is getting a fookin' car under my heals again - I know there is an outpost in the nearby town.

But damn if I am going to ride a bicycle to get to it!

I have immediate concerns, such as becoming mobile once more.

Do you have any idea how despicable it is to have to ask for a ride?

10. Bertha66 Vet Zone TOTM Winner Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The Band of Brothers of Oregon works close with the VFW. A Vet needing a ride or help with a car, Band of Brothers would be the one 's to get a hold of!!

11. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

That's gotta discommode some one, and I like that not. But it pleases those who do so - and that is a good thing.

Where I am - I have no idea yet.

But I still want to prove my independance, it means a lot to me.

I WILL get up on my feet soon

12. Bertha66 Vet Zone TOTM Winner Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I do now what you mean about independence; I am disabled and have a had time asking for help or accepting help.

13. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

Amputee Outdoors in GA takes vets on hunting trips in track chairs. Good group.

14. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Keep it coming, at the far end I see us contacting stay at homes and doing something.

But I will get up and running MYSELF!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >