Wandering 1974 F100!

Discussion in '1973 - 1979 Ford F100, F150, F250-F350 Truck Forum' started by JimVore, Sep 20, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. JimVore

I have a F100 power steering, twin I-beam short bed, that has become almost dangerous to drive. I have replaced the steering box and rag joint, pulled and pushed everything on steering linkages. Everything seems tight underneath. From what I've read suggests alignment or no grease to king pins. The other day, my wife and I took the truck to Lowes and got a load of paver blocks to build a walk way. To our surprise with the load the truck handled much better and stable. I'm not sure I'm wrapping my head around as to why, is this a conformation that it is an alignment issue, or a feed back from another issue. I'd like thoughts on this, thanks in advance. Jim.

Tags:
  2. RP67F100

Fords have had this problem for many year models,the front end shop I have used for years has always put a little pull to the left in the tie rod. It doesn’t cause any tire wear, but stops the wandering. I have also added steering stabilizers that will also help

3. iicap

JimVore, Welcome to FTZ! You said, " that has become almost dangerous to drive ". Does this mean the truck has NOT had this problem initially and it has developed over time ? Any changes to the truck by You, from when there was no problem, like different wheels and tires, raising of the front or rear of the truck? In your description you did mention what the truck is actually doing? Like the steering staying where you put it or not returning to the center of the road after a turn for a curve? Cap.

4. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

Ask your alignment shop about adjusting for more posiitve caster, also do you know the current caster angle? i bet it isn't much

iicap likes this.
  5. JimVore

Thank you for your response. The Truck was gifted to me by my son after retirement, so the condition was there from my reception. It has been restored in the past, and there are new tires on it now. The condition is that it will not hold a straight line, either kicking left or right, and when you take a turn, it feels like it wants to drift around.

6. iicap

OK so the problem is not new. No previous knowledge of history of the truck, I would do as "whomrig"suggested, take it to an alignment shop and ask them to check the alignment and give you print out of the settings of the Toe, Caster and Camber AS THEY FIND the truck. THEN AFTER they have done the alignment to bring it into spec. OR IF they can't bring it into spec, because WHY ??

To give you a better idea of Fords Twin Eye Beam suspension on Two Wheel Drive Trucks. The Settings the alignment shops use is for STOCK suspension

Toe (Toe in/ Toe out) is fully adjustable.

Caster (or inclination of the kingpin) NOT easily done on Twin Eye Beam. Bending or twisting of the axle is usually needed. Most shops can't or wont do it.

Camber (which looking at the tires from the front of the truck) Not easily done. Would involve bending the axle. Most shops can't or wont do it

Caster and Camber on Twin Eye Beam are usually Never messed with. SO, hypothetical, if you should say, put in front springs that are 1", 1.5" taller, your are going to change the Caster and Camber Both. If you should replace a 240/300- 6 with a big block V-8, like a 360/390 OR the other way around, you change the height of the springs by weight difference and it changes the Caster and Camber.

If you go online with Your VIN # to Decipher My Ford Truck VIN, you can find what your tuck was when it left the factory. Cap

7. JimVore

Thank you, as I guessed changing springs would solve the issue as the factory 1974 service manual suggests. I would be Leary of a alignment shop that I don't know cold bend my axles. I see why the younger crowd is slipping CV front ends under this chassis. Jim.

iicap likes this.
  8. iicap

On your last comments, I think it UNLIKELY you will find an alignment shop that that has things necessary equipment to bend axles. Alternative's MIGHT be out there for caster and camber adjustment. Without the cost of installing a Crown Vic or other alternate suspension, Having your Twin Eye Beam, Checked and a print out will tell you what is out and how bad, you need to know to go looking for solutions

I'm not understanding your comment on springs. Are you saying your front springs are NOT stock an may be longer to raise the front appearance of the truck?

The frame BRACKET that the radius arms go thru being longer or shorter will tilt the axle forward or back for Caster. The pivot point on the frame for the axle eye, being longer will alter Camber.

Many Hot rod trucks with twin eye beam, the owners want to Lower the front end for that so called "Cool Look". If they use a shorter spring, they thro all the alignment out. So there are custom dropped front axles out there to lower the whole front of the truck, but keep the suspension as stock to maintain alignment and good handling.

I would look on line asking, " Are there different ways to correct Ford Twin Eye Beam suspension problems" and read them all.

Looking at your Avatar, it's really nice looking truck. It would be great getting this handling thing resolved so you can go about enjoying it. Cap

JimVore likes this.
  9. JimVore

Thanks again for a great response, as I do all my own work, I will look at all suggested and further search for alternatives. As I have no idea what has been done in the past, ie; the built 351W and C6, I will have to examine more closely where I'm at. Again appreciate the feed back.....Jim

IMG_20210905_103928229.jpg #ad

10. Preston

that motor looks really clean

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >