Wannabee F-350 4X4

Discussion in '1967 - 1972 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by iicap, Aug 16, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. iicap

Hey All, iicap here.
    My Son, Grandson and I just bought a 1972 or 1970, not sure yet which, F-250 4X4 that thinks it's a F-350 4X4. Of course Ford never produced (to my knowledge) a F-350 4X4 in those years. First I ever knew of was a 1979 and it was a, I guess low rider, with fat wide oval tires, single rear wheel.

So back to what we bought. It is a F-250, were told it was a Camper Special, we will decipher the warranty plate and let you know all about it and some pics as advertised. We'll take you along as we clean it up and get it running.

It is a Dump truck, low boy or 1 yd mason body. It has dual rear wheels, with the concave/convex stud holes, and we believe the rear axle is from a F-350, springs, helpers and all. The front axle has had adapters installed so it has the dish wheels of a F-350 that match those on the rear axle. It has 6 basically new radial tires, although we don't know how old, the show no dry checking.

When I saw the add with the pictures and the wheel configuration, I said what the h... is this? There is no Bumpside Ford like that. We will pick it up in the next couple days, trailer it home, they will clean it up a bit, check all the lubricant and under hood levels. I'll get to it about a week from now (company coming for about 4 days) and get into getting it running with some pics and commentary as we go along. Camper Special or not, it is definitely a High Boy.
    Cap

Tags:
  2. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

ford did indeed make a F350 4X4 in 1970 and 72.
    post the VIN and we will be able to help you determine what it came out of the factory as.

Fabman likes this.
  3. iicap

Ahah, thanks 1970something! Don't think I have ever seen bigger than 250, from the Factory in a Bumpside. When we get the truck we'll clean up the warranty tag/plate and share and decipher on this end also. I have a pic of plate but is painted over, not legible. On available 350 4X4, do you suppose with dual rear wheels?

4. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

they were available in both single and dual rear wheel.

5. iicap

Well I/we have been working on the Wannabee. 1st day, 3 new fuel hose's, ethanol rated, under cab, at fuel pump and line at carb because someone added the small filter with 1/8 pipe threaded into bowl chamber. I took my Mighty Vac to the steel line at frame before fuel pump, hoping to start a flow of old gas into container's to empty the tank. Could not get a flow, because the tank was empty. THAT's GOOD to me. Put in 2.5 gals new gas with 1 ounce each of Stabil, Marvel Mystery Oil, Lucas Carb Fuel system cleaner. Pulled new gas thru all, up to the line at the carb filter.
    Replaced Pos Battery cable to solenoid with good used one I had. Negative cable at block fastened with a 1/2" bolt to long. It had a nut screwed on to prevent it from bottoming out in the hole and it still was bottomed with threads all chewed up at the end. Today I replaced it with one 3/4" long and it locked the cable end up good.
    So the engine is free. I was able to move it easily back and forth. We cranked it over to check for spark at the coil wire and the was none. It crank over LAZY. Checked points. Gap looked good but they were badly burnt/old. Tried filing them but didn't do the trick.
    Today picked up some supplies, Points, condenser, 2 fuel filters, engine oil and filter, 2 gals Afreeze, some battery cable ends, repair type and copper lugs for permanent repair.
    Installed new points, condenser, the centrifugal advance is smooth and returns properly. Spark check, very good. Poured some gas in carb throat and tried starting. It touched right off and quit. We had/have a problem with no response to cranking with ignition switch. Also no power to the gauges. We've printed out the wiring schematic and now have reference to checking circuits. The fuse block is a mess, they even used some wire in place of a fuse.
    Back to running, after numerous priming's of the carb, we've been able to keep it running, it sounds good and hitting all cylinders. The seller texted my son and said he found a carb rebuild kit he had bought. When we get it, I'll do the carb.
    The Warranty tag on left door is riveted on. Tomorrow I'll remove to clean and get all info to decipher. I'll take a few pictures also and get into learning how to post here.
    Cap

6. iicap

So here is the warranty plate info for anyone who wants to decipher it. I have and have a couple things needing clarification. THE NUMBERS listed here are correct, they are legible and even more so from the back side of the plate

Line 1, F26YEG91600
    Line 2, 131 N F262 D 4 A 24K
    Line 3, 07700 170 4100 110098

My discrepancy's are,
    Line 2, 24K = 24 rear axle code, K front axle code, 24 and K designate 2 different ratio's, 24 being 4.10 and K being 4.55
    Line 3, 110098, 11 being District ordered from, Boston, that's OK, 0098 is the special order number. I'd like to know what 0098 is for, but I can't find anything about what special order #'s designate.

I realize this truck has been cobbled together from what it was, when it left the Factory. Tomorrow I will get the ratio's off the front and rear diffs tags. Hopefully the tags will have some Ford #'s as well as Ratio. Also suspecting rear axle in the truck is a 70 series Dana. I will get the VIN # off the frame right side above axle center.

Gonna see about posting some pictures, Cap

7. iicap

8. iicap

[​IMG]#ad
    Tho there don't think I posted it properly. this one is plate viewed from back.

[​IMG]#ad

9. iicap

Well, guess I need a tutorial on posting pictures. I have them in a folder pertaining to the truck .

10. iicap

No one wants to guide me on posting pictures???????

11. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

I used vinwiz decoder......
    VIN Format: 1961-1980 Ford truck

Decoding: F26YEG91600

Digit Usage VIN Decoded
    1-3 Series F26 F250 4WD pickup
    4 Engine Y V8 360-2v 215hp 8.4:1cr
    5 Plant E Mahwah NJ
    6-8 Mod Yr/Mfg Date G91 1970 (Mfg Nov 1969)
    6-11 Sequential Serial # G91600 G91600
    also check out

12. iicap

whomrig, Thanks for your deciphering.

Did a bit more checking since last report. Tho it has Dual rear wheels , the rear axle is a 60 series Dana, not a 70. Without removing the rear wheels at this time I can't see any adapter. Think the may have install longer wheel studs. The front looks like adapters installed to use the dually wheel up front.

13. iicap

Last post Aug 30, due to injury/illness on the home front nothing has been done on "The Wannabee". I'm aiming to get back at it this week.
    A note to,
    1970something, I have found Nothing in regards to a Factory Built F-350 4X4 in 1970/72 . Do you have any link(s) to them being built. It is something I have looked for, long before I started this thread. Thanks, Cap

14. iicap

Practicing with pictures. Couple of the Wannabe. She's not pretty. Need get her road worthy, then clean up some.
    20210826_141522.jpg
    Notice Radiator support, its for a 6 cyl truck. Like I said, it's been cobbled together. Grilles came with truck and a ton of extra stuff.
    20210826_141541.jpg
    As said it is an F-250, fronts apparently have adapters to convert to dish type dualy.
    20210826_141817.jpg
    And the rears. As it is a 60 series Dana, I'm thinking just longer studs. Can't wait to see how the concave/convex wheels sit against the drum.
    20210826_141740.jpg

Hoping this all posts. Cap

15. iicap

Got into the Wannabe again last Fri. The gas line along the frame to the pump hose was leaking. Rusted thru at a support clip. Removed bout 5" of the pin hole area and put in a section of new hose. At some time I'll replace the whole line.

Although we've run it a couple times to completely warm up, it would never idle. Today I remove the carb and took it home to do a rebuild. Disassembled that night. I'm fortunate to have an old 5 gallon pail of, I believe it is Gunk/Solder Seal carb cleaner, the stuff you cant get anymore. A number of years back the metal pail was not looking to good so I transferred it into a new plastic pail with a good snap lid. Have not used it in years, hoping it was still good and yes it did a good job with an over nite soak.

A couple pics of the inside of the float bowl chamber shown below. In pics it looks like sand in there but, when I turned it over to dump all out, it was like flour. That is the power valve between the 2 jets you see. It was plugged solid with the flower like crap in the chamber. There was a running gas leak from either the power valve cover or the accelerator pump.

20211007_190707.jpg 20211007_190728.jpg
    With the truck there is a gang of extras. There are 3 more carbs, 2 more are MotocCraft 2100's like the one I'm rebuilding and a Holly, which was on the extra 360 engine sitting in the dump bed. The engine has a New Process 435 transmission with transfer case bolted up to it.

Shopping for rebuild kits, most wanted 30 plus dollars. I ordered 2 kits from RockAuto.com. They were 15 and change each plus shipping. expect them this week.

Cap

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso