Weatherstripping and wires

Discussion in '1961 - 1966 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by knoxwhite63, Sep 7, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. knoxwhite63

Hi y'all -

Nice to be aboard. I have a 1965 f250 with a 351w on board, and apparently a c-6 transmission. A previous owner did some work but seems to have finished very little and after driving for years, I'm finally have a little time to make a few improvements. Bear in mind, I am not intending to restore this beast or cherry it out in any way. I primarily need a rugged, reliable machine for hauling firewood or gravel or lumber or my bike. A future owner can take her back to the showroom. I'm taking her to the Lowe's. Anyway, for now I'm concentrating on trying to quiet the ride at long last, primarily by replacing all the door rubber. I have catalogs from LMC, Dennis Carpenter, NorthEast Classic Ford Parts, Steelerubber, etc and no supplier seems to have all the parts I'd need, and I'm beginning to wonder if anybody has any suggestions for starters.

I'm also having to probably generate my own wiring harnesses on both sides of the firewall. The previous guy dropped an autometer gauge kit in here and didn't quite stick the landing.

There's also speedo questions (the autometer speedo runs about 20% fast) and question about sourcing an original wiper switch. But that should be enough to get me started.

Thanks for your time and looking forward to learning a bit here.

Tags:
  2. Oldiesask

I thought both Carpenter and LMC had most rubber, what are you after that you can't find?
    Changing the plastic driven gear on the speedo cable should solve the issue there, but some trial and error is required. Whoever swapped in the C6, just didn't get it right. As for an original wiper switch, I think single speed with no washer, consider weather you want to upgrade to two speed with electric washers before getting that switch.

3. knoxwhite63

Hi thanks for responding-

First off I've heard very sketchy reviews of most rubber/ weather strip etc from LMC. Poor fit and no longevity to the components. Cheap chinese materials, etc. I'm advised that DC is a better source from a quality standpoint. I'm in LA so rust not as troublesome as sun damage.

The primary parts I'm having trouble locating are division bars from the doors. Mine are fine but the felt has completely deteriorated, and there seems to be no allowance for riveting in new felt, you just gotta replace w new. Also the door channels (glass runs) but these go by different names depending on the catalog you're looking at. The window seals (sweepers) seem to be available, but there's a crazy disparity in costs from supplier to supplier. Finally the weather strip itself.

Yeah speedo trial and error my most probable method.

As to wiper switch- I'd prefer a 2-speed switch and believe my original was such. 5 blades, but as I say the harness was so hatcheted in the dash cluster retrofit I can't trace much and my wiring diagram off by a year. grrr. And LMC and other catalogs seem to carry ignition switches, cigarette lighters, choke cables etc etc but no wiper switches. grrr. lol.

finally new news the center support is deteriorated so im probably gonna need to get a new one, preferable polyurethane.

one thing that would definitely help would be diagrams w ford OEM part numbers. All these catalogs have their own designations but sourcing across platforms is difficult. I have the original shop manuals but don't see part nos. Any way to access part diagrams w/o buying every sheet of literature out there?

Thanks for your time and generosity!

4. RP67F100

I have found that Mac’s ford parts is the place to go for electrical switches and components. I won’t say all of them but a lot of the original parts have the Ford number on them. I have seen the original part numbers on some of the aftermarket catalogs beside their numbers

knoxwhite63 likes this.
  5. Oldiesask

I used Carpenter rubber on my '84 about 4 years ago, happy with it so far. LMC is cheaper, but you get what you pay for. I have noticed that about division bars for '61-'66, no run channel like other years. Steele lists some multi fit channel in their catalogue, probably on the web site, but I haven't looked. Anyway, I got something from there for my sliding rear window, just measure what you need and cut to fit.
    For the wiper switch, '66 had a foot pump for the washer, '67 was the first truck with electric pump, but washer was a pull switch, '68 was a push, so part numbers will differ. For my '67, I got an intermittent switch with the control box from an '80 and it was just plug and play, easiest upgrade you can make. you have to cut a little off the shaft for the knob to get close enough. But it never rains in California, so wipers are just for show!
    Check out fordification for the wiring diagrams, they are a bompside site, but may have some '65 data there. The number in the diagram is the group part of the part number, the prefix and suffix are not shown. Check out how to read Ford part numbers on that site, if you need more.

knoxwhite63 likes this.
  6. knoxwhite63

Thanks for the reply!

7. knoxwhite63

It'll take me a minute to process which path to choose, since I'm probably gonna Frankenstein the dash harness anyway. But I'm impressed and grateful for the quick response from all y'all. It'll be later in the week but I may try to post a few pictures...

Thanks again

8. knoxwhite63

It never used to rain in cali, but this year bizarre. we had a massive downpour in the summer. Freakish. The main bummer lately about cali is the retreat of the junkyards. When I first came here in the 90s I was restoring an old Pontiac and there were lots of places to scrounge for parts. These days all the online sellers have kinda ruined the model for it and there's not much out there anymore. But thanks for the quick turnaround on responding. y'all are great

9. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Dennis Carpenter and some others, the door weatherstripping has the air holes in them every foot or so, like the OEM part did. It keeps them from developing cracks that let the air out if the door is closed hard. No matter who you buy from, make sure it has those because it lasts a lot longer.

The cheap stuff, they just extrude it without air holes because it's cheaper machinery.

10. knoxwhite63

Thanks for the head's up. Great population of helpful folks here.

Dismantled the vent windows yesterday to confirm the frames are okay before I start ordering parts. Still wishing the correct door runs were available, the nearest I can find for the moment being Steelerubber. Will compose a master order by week's end from multiple sources. For the moment weather stripping and vent seals from Northeast Classic Ford parts, window runs from Steele, and everything else (division bars etc) from Dennis Carpenter.

Thanks again all -

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso