Welcome To The Fabricators Corner!

Discussion in 'The Fabricators Corner' started by Fabman, Dec 4, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Fabman In Memoriam Vet Zone Staff Alumni Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Here it is guys! A forum we can use to discuss shop related topics. As a fabricator (hence my screen name...) I thought we could use this forum to help each other out with shop questions or problems.

Let the fun begin!

Tags:
    56panelford likes this.
  2. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

My company custom designs and manufactures mission specific equipment for the plastics industry. There isn't a CNC in my shop. 3 Bridgeport style vertical mills and 4 engine lathes with up to 200 inches between centers. My machinists aren't computer programmers. ;)

I hope I will be able to provide some information as the thread grows. Good luck with it.

3. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

And computer people will never be REAL machinists.

56panelford likes this.
  4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

True, but computer people can also make some pretty neat things. Especially when you start throwing 3D CAD and 3D printers into the mix. Both have their place and use.

5. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Those 3D printers are incredibly awesome, would love to be able to play with one.

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Some of the lower end hobbyist units are a few hundred bucks and they do a surprisingly good job. I have a Solidoodle 2, and have made everything from Legos for the kids to gauge holders for my truck, to housings for a product I've been working on bringing to market.

I've even printed spare parts so if it ever breaks I can repair it!

7. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

What is all needed for these Ken, anything besides a printer, does the printer come with the program. I'm not going to make you guess....I'm not really computer savvy :)

8. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It comes with a program you load your 3d files into, rotate, scale and place them on the print platform virtually, then print. You can set how fine the printing. The finest level obviously gives the smoothest finish but it's also the slowest. The program can load in 3d files in Autocad format, STL (used by many inexpensive cad programs) and a few other formats that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Learning the CAD is the hardest part, and that's actually pretty easy once you get over the intimidation! I got over it with te AutoCad for Dummies book! Learned most of what I needed to know in a couple of days that way.

9. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

When it's printed out in 3D what is in printed with, what kind of material, I should do a search on this probably . I would imagine Youtube would have some info on it.

10. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

You buy spools of ABS or PLA plastic. It's plastic filament about as thick as the line from a yard weed eater tool. The 3d printer company charges an arm and leg for those but I buy them dirt cheap on ebay. I'm downstairs minding the kids right now, so I can't get to the 3d printer right now, but if you want I can make a quick video tomorrow of it working and some of the little nick nacks I've recently made.

The biggest difference between the two types of plastic is their melting point. I think the ABS has the higher melting point, it's good for auto parts you might place under a hood but not directly next to a heat source like an exhaust manifold.

There are two limitations of this printer compared to the multi-thousand dollar printers.

1. Maximum print size is about 6x6x6. That's actually pretty darned big.

2. It prints with only plastic and does not have a "fill" spool. The high end units can print material that fills in between overhanging plastic (plastic printed with nothing under it supporting it during the print), that washes out after printing.
    Without fill this hobbyist printer can still print overhanging plastic but only at certain angles unless you slow down the print. I've never run into any problems due to this, most people won't - and sometimes all you have to do is rotate the image differently to print it from a different direction.

http://www.solidoodle.com/
    I just went by Solidoodle's site, I made a mistake, I have a Solidoodle 3. It looks like the printer in the middle but not 100% the same. I put clear acrylic sheets on the side walls to quiet it down during the print. I'm happy with it. The only draw back is it takes 2-3 weeks to get it after you order it. They are really back logged due to being so popular.

11. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

That machine is much cheaper than some I seen when doing a quick search. There was a guy who made some side emblems for a 56 F-600 on FTE, you might remember the thread, I couldn't find it but he did a very nice reproduction of it but have to use a 3M tape to apply it. I don't think I'd ever get around to doing this for myself unless I was thinking of doing a bit of business of the side. Very impressive technology though, I really like this sort of stuff.

12. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Yeah, buy a plastic chroming kit, print out 3D emblems then chrome them, and that would be a decent little side business.

Even better would be to use the printer to create the emblem, then use that to create a mold, and the mold to make metal emblems. Then use traditional chrome plating on those.

If you think about it, as 3d technology advances and we can print with more and more materials (already with some metals now), Star Trek's transporter technology is here in a round about way. You don't send the actual object, you send the data to a remote location to create it there on the spot. Nasa has been researching and testing 3D technology they could use on the moon, Mars, etc. Send the printer in the ship, along with bulk printer material. Make what you need, when you no longer need it you feed it back into the material bin to be used again.

13. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

It's funny how things seemed far fetched when watching these sci-fi movies and see it all come true only a short time later.

bigrigfixer likes this.
  14. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

15. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Good of you to post the new link Grey..

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >