Welcome to the Small Chassis forum

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by Greywolf, Apr 21, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

As things progress (and I think we can expect a lot of growth) we should see separate categories for the several model lines, and I intend to set up an INDEX sticky thread as we get essential "How To" info posted, with links to each and everything that folks may be looking for help with.

Me personally, I'm down to one Ford truck at this point, an '89 Ranger that is having a 351 Windsor hooked up in it. I already have the engine stuffed - the rest of the story is going to be mainly plumbing and driveline.

~Wolfie

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

How tight is it in there? Manifolds cause you any problem?

3. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

It was unbelievable.

I started with a trick set of headers and a set of engine mount adapter plates from a place that specializes in this kind of swap, they were made just for this shoehorn job.

I had to carve the P-side top of the frame rail between the firewall and front suspension to clear the right side header, then cut away a flange in the transmission tunnel area where the bell housing fit. Before it was over, I found myself slamming away at the firewall on the drivers side with a hefty sledge hammer to clear the left hand head, and on the right I had to fabricate a trick HVAC cover to allow the right valve cover to fit.

With discouragement, pulling the engine back out over and over as new nuisances were identified, and bad weather mixed in - it took me a year and a half working in a gravel driveway just to get that thing to sit properly.

I'll shoot some new pics, the originals are kind of hard to transplant from FTE, and why should I?

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I did a copy/ paste when I was the cl over there for Md.
    I grabbed all their pictures, and put them in photo bucket for them ( not that they use them anyway)

If you are missing some pictures, I can go back and grab them for you, I have an active account there still.

5. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Liking the layout so far . A few bugs on my end . I tend to think it is my 10 year old hard drive . It is a bit wonky .Going to try and start a new thread . Give me a few ... Oh I am curious . Time/date stamp on each post ?

6. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I popped this thread open today - so we're seeing minutes right now. It will update.

Check this mess out:

full?d=1429664714.jpg #ad

Wood block supports for working space

You can see the carving that was done in the tunnel. Just past the end of the valve cover I bashed the heck out of the firewall - all the way to the bottom to clear the head.

The view straight down where the radiator will go. Sheet of tin protecting the A/C condenser. I hope there is a shorter pump, there is definitely going to have to be an electric fan on the grill side, not in here.

A flat sheet of metal was formed using a template I fitted made out of heavy paper.
    Once it was drilled for screws I ran a bead of sealer around the mating surfaces, and shot the screws in. This was done before reinstalling either the engine or the HVAC unit

EVEN with the cab on blocks, and with a modified housing to clear the valve cover, I think a set of shorter valve covers need to be found...

Man, I hate how rusty and nasty all my pretty chrome pieces have gotten from sitting over the winter.

I DO NOT WANT to do a body lift, even though it would cure a lot of problems. I want the center of gravity as low in the frame as I can get it.

But if I have to...

7. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I have the flex a lite fans on 2 of my resto rods, I'll get some measurements and pictures when your ready.
    I also had some really nice short aluminum valve covers on my fox body. I'll look in the shop and see if they're still there. One of the grand youngins might have "borrowed them"
    If that be the case, I'll see if I can figure out where I got them

8. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Hmm... I have now created history at FTZ by hi-jacking my own thread. Silly me.

I haven't yet figured out all the ins-and-outs of how threads will propagate in this forum.
    Likely we'll be seeing a PROJECT forum added, sub forums added to this one for Ranger, Explorer, etc...

But this week is really all about working out any bugs or kinks in the place, and Ken says there are a lot more things coming soon.
    Doubtless the above will be part of it, we are witnessing an act of creation from the inside and the ground floor.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was Deereborn...

What I see so far is a foundation to be proud of.

9. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Ok ... What is the best way to post pics ? I use the mountin icon on another site . That links straight to my downloads .... What is best here ? I am not that savvy on this puter thing .

10. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Wow, awfully tight. A 351, it's going to be a quick little truck!

11. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

The math runs like this so far, considering it would patch in first and second with a non-aspirated 2.3L in it:

2.3 times two is 4.6, which is a V6 engine size. The Windsor is technically a 5.8L, so dividing 2.3 into that we get:

Approximately two and a half times the engine Ford decided it needed (2.52...)

What that all works out to in power to weight ratio I'm clueless.

I have ANOTHER engine waiting for some bright and sunny day to be machined out to a 408 Windsor. But I have a number of priorities that demand my income at the moment.

I also have a second chassis, with no cab or bed, for a Ranger 1/4 ton. In the shop I have a 351M that pretty much just needs head gaskets and accessories. I also still have the original 2.3L and two or three TK gearboxes for it.

*The #2 chassis has an explorer axle on it for now, that I need to modify the spring saddles on, explo axles mount ABOVE the springs, so I need to weld brackets on the top of it. The advantage is that it's a limited slip eight inch (I think it's eight inch) similar to a Mustang. Mines a 3.73, they can also be found in 4.10.

The BEST way to build a hot Ranger truck is to start with an Explorer frame with the body stripped off. When Ford had to go back in to the early Explorers to get past the bad press about rollovers, they WAY over engineered the front and rear suspensions. And THAT makes an Explorer chassis the bomb setup to use.

Now if I could just win the lottery or something I'd have it made

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  12. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I always use the upload file option below a post (click "More Options" to see that button), then it gives me the option to insert any image uploaded into the post where the cursor currently is.

13. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Question for you then Ken,
    If I do a how to write up for the site like I used to for the "other guy". I used to use Photo bucket so I could write between the pictures. Will I be able to do this the same way, or will the pictures be an attachment at the end of my written page?

14. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I answered my own question on another thread.
    I think the Photobucket will work better for me on the write ups, as the pictures will show up like Wolfie's did , and not as thumbnails......

15. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

If you use the album (media) functions here, you have a multiple choice copy and paste list next to your images that is a whole lot faster than photobucket (no ads to slow things down). What you think are p-bucket images of mine are increasingly native to FTZ and hosted on my media page.

It also gives you an option to either use full size, or thumbnail.

What I generally do when composing a multi image post is to use notepad in a separate window to get everything including text ready to copy and paste in one final grab, and then preview the post for anything that needs to be massaged

I guess I already know what the next "How To" will be about....

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >