WHAT is "Corrosion", How does it work? What does it do? How do you stop it?

Discussion in 'The Fabricators Corner' started by Greywolf, May 16, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

The naval air community has a doctrine about this, that analyses it, and has formulated a response to the degradation of vital equipment, that is available TO YOU TOO - if you want to look at that.

These manuals are FREE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC (they have been de-classified) so that the benefits of decades of research into this can be at your hands too, and they are free downloads in PDF format.

MY GIFT TO YOU! (Not to mention the US Government and all of their research programs)

UNDERSTAND why things corrode - and you can prevent it more effectively

Here are some downloadable manuals that can help you:

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFNhJkIzksZbtnpufTrK83u4M0Xog

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNHA-hMrLiEccDKd8r3dgM6ndFp4tQ

~The source is www.everyspec.com, and they are a resource for military manuals of all kinds - I bet Bill will be fascinated with it, as well as many others.

THIS IS NOT A COMPLETE LIST! The "509" manuals are a part of other manuals you will find there, but they can teach you far more about what simple RUST and aluminum corrosion is than you can get any other way

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I believe it is a safe site.

~Wolfie

Tags:
  2. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

In for later.

When we were in Hawai'i I made a comment to one of our tour guides about how abandoned cars weren't rusting on the side of the road by the beach.

His answer was short and simple. Aggressive undercoating.

As I understood it from autobody school, the finish can come off, but with the galvanized steel under the paint and primer, that's as far as it'll go, provided the zinc coating isn't compromised. But once that zinc is gone, all bets are off.

56panelford likes this.
  3. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

The chemistry of corrosion in any form is a lot like a cell in a battery.

The undercoating seals the metal by forming a non-conductive layer.

Corrosion happens because IONS from one metal travel to another through a conductive electrical path - you will see that if you read the first manual.

RUST isn't what you think it is.

To truly understand it you have to look at the basic chemical interaction, and once you know how THAT works - you can combat it much as a firefighter does the essential fire triangle.

THIS does THIS.

In order for THIS to happen, THIS must happen - and so on.

And so RUST, like FIRE can be avoided

Truth.

Interrupt any of the paths or processes, and the result can be prevented

BEWARE of DISSIMILAR METALS in anything you make.....
    They act like donor materials and acceptor metals

Anodes, and Cathodes

Study that well

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  4. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I'll look at it when I get home. But in my line of work now, I deal with snow removal trucks. Plows and salt spreader systems be it granular or brine. Wreaks havoc on electrical, never mind the aluminum valves or steel frames.

56panelford likes this.
  5. BKW Founding Member

I don't need to look at it. "She who must be obeyed" is a PE Corrosion Engineer, is an expert on Cathodic Protection, is on the board of NACE (National Assn. of Corrosion Engineers).

If you email me your phone number, I'll have her call you, but...

Be prepared for a loooong winded answer. She also writes tech manuals that go on and on and on....just like her speeches.

Former Cunard liner RMS Queen Mary located in Long Beach. When she arrived, the hull and upper works were Cathodic Protected. But soon after, holes were cut in her hull, nothing on the inside was protected, so she's rusting out from the inside.

Queen Mary has been a HUGE white elephant, Long Beach would love to get rid of her, had a chance several years ago, when a Japanese Consortium wanted to buy the ship, tow it to Japan, turn it into a floating hotel.

But the inside of the hull is so rusty, some people doubt it could be towed no further than Catalina Island (26 miles across the sea) before water starts pouring, putting her in a sinking condition.

There's already one liner sunk out there, don't need another.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  6. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Sounds like Long Beach scuttled themselves by taking a shortcut. By holes in the hull - you mean to the sea? Did they sink it in place to make it more stable?

7. BKW Founding Member

They opened up the hull in the engine room...to the sea. Why I dunno. Visit the engine room, you can see water sloshing around.

The ship is berthed to a wharf surrounded on 3 sides by a concrete rock barricade to prevent waves from hitting it.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  8. BigdaddyII Founding Member

Rust? Salt? Man that's crazy talk, I don't see no rust around here lol.

9. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

That's almost unbelievable. It's also one of the compartments in the ship I would have thought they would preserve at any cost.

How often do you get to see an ocean liner engine?

10. BKW Founding Member

If taking a cruise, you can visit the engine room (for a fee), look at the huge Bermister & Wain or Sultzer diesel engines that power these tubs, most of which weigh over 100,000 tons.

Sister ships Olympic & Titanic, the largest liners in the world (1912) weighed 46,000 tons.

In 1913, the Nord Deutschlander Lloyd liner Imperator went into service, it was longer and heavier than the Olympic twins...making it the largest liner in the world until the Queen Mary debuted in 1934. It was handed over as war reparations to the US after WWI ended, renamed the Leviathan.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  11. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

At 90,000 tons - USS Nimitz is a fraction smaller, but for obvious reasons I never saw the engines.

On the other hand, I have seen it from underneath when it was in drydock at Newport News. A ship that size supported on timbers is a sight to behold...

12. Paul Masley Founding Member

I got to see one drydocked at NN. I do not know which one, but WOW, that boat was big. If you could turn those screws fast enough, it would make a tornado.

56panelford likes this.
  13. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Well, corrosion sucks. I just replaced the floor pans in the transmission Am because of it. :(

14. Paul Masley Founding Member

I hope you applied that new rust/corrosion paint to the weld edges and the pan, inside and out. I cannot think of the name but it works great.

56panelford likes this.
  15. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

The entire pans...Inside and out. Plus, coated the underside with a spray rubber application. :)

Hell, the only time the underside will ever see water now is if I get caught in a rain coming home from a car show or cruise.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >