What is the life expectancy of the timing chain on an '01 5.4 engine?

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by Jerry"s new F250, May 12, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Jerry"s new F250

My little F150 with a 5.4 has 187,000 miles and I have no service records from former owner who put on about 25,000 miles. I bought it with 186,000 miles
    It runs and drives and stops like it has 100,00 FEWER miles on it. Body and interior are very good ---except that driver seat is a bit worn and needs attention.
    I can't find what I'm looking for in the owners manual.
    Thanks for your input and opinions

Tags:
  2. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I've seen them with over 400 k doing fine. Not a normal maintenance item.

FTZ HAIC and Jerry"s new F250 like this.
  3. Jerry"s new F250

Wow! I think I will stop worrying about it. Thank you JWC 3
    PS...I was expecting the worst, and I'm not disappointed!

FTZ HAIC and JWC 3 like this.
  4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Yeah, unless you're pushing some serious horsepower, other things will fail first. The tensioner takes care of most slop over it's life, and slows down progression of more slop.

Jerry"s new F250 and JWC 3 like this.
  5. Jerry"s new F250

OK FTZ HAIC, would I need to change the tensioner? So far it has acted like a good condition runner, Has not used a qt of oil since I changed it in December.
    If it weren't for that "connection and corrosion problem" I had earlier, I wouldn't know what it looked like under the hood. (not exactly correct)

6. enriched

to the OP , We have very similar mileage trucks....I am more in favor of replacing critical components like timing chain and tensioners before they become issues & cause more damage. I have not done mine....yet, but I would like to get it done. When I do pull that trigger, I will replace the oil pump as well

Jerry"s new F250 likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso