What should I look for?

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by Basically Crazy, Sep 19, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Basically Crazy

Hey I'm truck shopping and looking to get something a little smaller than the F250 but not the Ranger so the F150 is it. I'm not sure yet what I want and I'm open to many different years so I'm posting this in a bunch of sections.

The 1997 - 2003 F150 is smaller than the 04-08 so is mileage better on them? I know the extended cab has bad crash ratings but is the crew a safe truck? How reliable is the 5.4L in these years? What about problem areas? Since its an older truck are they good for 250,000 miles without major problems?

Tags:
  2. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

97 -03 .....good trucks. Problem. ...,,most are worn out from use. A good one is worth the money. Just need to find that good one. ....

56panelford likes this.
  3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Early trucks had issues with stress cracks in the sheet metal from power windows. After I wrote a article about it after a local body man passed it on to me, Ford started adding a brace to prevent it. So look for that if you get a 1997 - 00 especially on the driver's side, but after that it's shouldn't be a problem.

Rear window leaks too on 1997-2000.

1997 - 2000, use 5w30 not 5w20, if you hear piston slap. Its more annoying than anything else.

Coil on plugs can develop light throttle misfire issues if they get wet, but that's not an F150 issue... that's all Fords with COPs. GMs too, lol. So when you test drive it make sure you include light throttle driving up inclines through all gears.

The issues are overall minor and it's a great generation.

4. macman_85602

The big question is what do you want to use it for. Will it be a daily driver? If so then gas mileage is more important then load/towing capacity but if you are looking for hauling then getting lower mileage would be the trade off for the capacity. Also are you going to use it to carry the family or is it just you? That would the decition between standard, extended or quad cabs. These are a few of the things to think about when buying.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >