What to do with the master cylinder and steering column when removing the cab

Discussion in '1967 - 1972 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Pushmower, Nov 29, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Pushmower

I am in the process of removing the cab on my 67' F100 2wd 352 auto.
    I have most of the parts sorted, but I don't want to disconnect the brake lines from the master cylinder if I can just remove the two bolts holding it to the fire wall.
    Can I unbolt it and support it while the cab is off?
    And on the steering column. Can I unbolt it at the rag joint? I am planning on marking it so I can put it back.
    All advice and suggestions will be appreciated. Thank You

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I've remove the booster and MC, since it'll give extra clearance lifting the cab. One unplanned swing with it in plance, and the brake lines might get bent! I think you're good with just unbolting the rag joint.

Pushmower likes this.
  3. captchas

with ken. i find it best to pull them off as it makes it easier and i mean a lot. just yesterday i reinstalled the body on a 32 ford sedan project, took 2 men and a gantry crane all of 20 mins .

Pushmower likes this.
  4. Pushmower

Thanks guys! I will get some plugs and unions and put them on after I remove the lines. I'm sure I dodged a bullet by asking for advice before I did it.

5. Pushmower

Since I have you here. Am I stepping on toes by asking questions that were probably covered in previous posts?
    In order to appear as if I know the proper way to navigate on the computer, should I check for the info I am seeking before posting questions?

6. captchas

ask away. if there's a issue i think someone will simply post up a link to it. we are not like that other site,
    for a note, heres how i pull and install bodies

20231129_125247.jpg #ad

iicap likes this.
  7. Pushmower

Thank you for your patience.
    That is an awesome set up! I won't be able to set up an I beam in my barn. It was built in 1886. The floor joists for the loft are not much higher than the roof of the truck. I think it must have been built to house a buggy and harness. It still has a wooden floor.
    I will be rolling the truck outside in the Spring. My son and some of his friends will be taking it off and setting it on a trailer so we can get the floor replaced. I will go out to the barn today and get some pictures of the progress so far.

8. captchas

we used to have 6 men hand lift the body's on and off ,that's how that body will go back on after it's painted.
    1886 the days of hand hewn wood.

Pushmower likes this.
  9. Pushmower

I can see why it takes 6 men!
    My house and barns were one of the first in the area to be built with steam powered saws which allowed the builder to get some exceptionally uniform lumber and trim. The original owner was a doctor and the street was named after him. There are still a few joists that have a live edge on them in the carriage barn. It has tons of character. Which is not always good for today's use.

captchas likes this.
  10. captchas

that one word "character" hits home. kind of like a old car or truck they each have their own

11. Oldiesask

I used an engine crane through the door opening, attached to four points on the floor. It was tippy, but only needed two people instead of 6. You would only have to lift a few inches, but you will need enough room to remove it to the side.

captchas likes this.
  12. Pushmower

The taking it to the side could be an issue. I think it will be barely wide enough in the barn to remove it and carry it past the bed to put it on a trailer.
    Luckily, my son is a big guy. He played football with some even bigger guys who are willing to come over and help.
    The plan is to jack it up and slide 2x6's under it for handles and with three men on each side carry it to the trailer.

captchas likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >