What transmission do i have?

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by jduvall24, Nov 16, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. jduvall24

Just recently purchased the truck. It’s an 1984 f250. Has a 7.3L IDI (which i know is not stock) with a 5 speed manual gearbox. Do not believe that 84’s had 5 speeds so i know it’s not stock either. Does anybody know what the 7.3L IDI’s introduced with a 5 speed transmission? Trying to figure out how much fluid it takes and etc.

Tags:
  2. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

transmission is a ZF- 5 speed. only transmission used on the IDI

BKW likes this.
  3. jduvall24

Thank you. Any idea on how many quarts it holds and filter? Prolly has never been changed before, want to get some fresh fluid in it at some point.

4. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

Three and a half quarts of ATF.

5. jduvall24

Just regular Automatic transmission fluid in a 5 speed manual? Where is the dipstick to check this thing, i can’t seem to find it anywhere in the engine bay!

6. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

No dipstick, just a plug on the side.

7. jduvall24

Dang that would be why i didn’t see it then. Does the plug have a thing that shows if it is low? Kinda like a small engine oil stick and cap all in one?

8. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

Full is up to the fill hole on level ground. If oil runs out when the plug is removed, it's over full.

9. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Check it the same way you check the oil in the pumpkin. Pull the plug, if you can stick your finger tip in it, you are good to go.

Attached Files:

10. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Oops, tie goes to the runner......

11. jduvall24

Thanks guys i appreciate it. Still kind of wondering if i should use automatic transmission fluid.

12. jduvall24

Also do you fill from same plug? Or is there a place to fil from top?

13. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Yeah, Ford calls for using ATF in it. Synthetic Mercon V is a good choice for it.

14. jduvall24

Thanks guys i really appreciate it.

15. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Fill through the same hole you check from. A pump is almost a necessity. You can pick them up at almost any store selling oil. Auto parts store will definitely have them, $5-$6

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...nd+Power+Steering+Fluid&category=Transmission Fluid

Take these video's with a grain of salt as far as the fluids they use. The basic mechanics is what you are interested in here.

Advise is usually free, so talk to your local Ford shop for recommendations as to specific fluids if there is any doubt.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >