Where Have All the V10's Gone?

Discussion in '2004 - 2008 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by Pops91710, Oct 16, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Pops91710 Founding Member

Please don't say the answer is blowin' in the wind! (Ok, I have just dated myself)

Seriously, I have a 2003 V10 which has performed flawlessly since 2003. Even though she still runs very well, I have been looking at the new trucks and am extremely dismayed to see they only put a V8 gasoline engine in them. I am not anti-diesel except I just can't put out that kind of money at my age. The V8 specs look good, but I am dubious of their honesty.

Question: Why did Ford drop the V10 when a company like U-haul absolutely loves them for their reliability?

My camping is done in high elevations where I tow a 12,000 pound trailer.

Has anyone replaced their V10 with the new V8 model that tows at higher elevations and steep grades?

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Those 6.2L V8s are torque monsters. Haven't driven one other than a couple of test drives, but from what I could tell they will git up and go. That dual variable cam timing makes a huge difference, making the torque curve very flat.

The modular V10 was just getting long in the tooth, and the 6.2L let them step up their horsepower game without sacrificing mileage.

3. Pops91710 Founding Member

I'm curious what dual variable cam timing means. I mean, I know what VVT is, but what does the "dual" refer to? Surely not DOHC as it is an SOHC engine, but I am sure you know that. Dual profiles?

Surely Ford could have updated the V10 (instead of dropping it altogether), which is pretty much what they did to the V8. From all I have read it is an overgrown Triton 5.4 with great upgrades. They had to take my $60 away from me kicking and screaming, and now that I have fallen in love with this amzingly reliable V10, they've done it to me again. That 460 was around for a long, long time!

4. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

I know a new truck has a lot of "creature comforts" that older trucks don't have which make them very appealing. That said, if you take the cost of a new truck, that's a lot of money that you could use to rebuild your existing 03. But, after it's all said and done, you'd still have an 03, which is fine if that's what you like.

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I should have been more specific. The 6.2L uses dual equal VCT, combined with the larger bore makes it torquey. The bore also gave them more room large valves and dual spark plugs.

Remember though, they dropped the 5.4L as well for the 2011+ model year, going with the 5.0L V8 (better engine overall, plus more power from less displacement). Time marches on, gone are the days of slower paced engine design of yesteryear, especially with computer aided design and computer engine simulation getting better all the time.

6. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

We've got a 6.2 at work on a service truck. It get's similar mileage to the V-10 (unfortunately), but has plenty of power and can't be compared to the old 5.4 V-8's. We live on flat land here, but with the service bed and 1,000 lbs of junk in the back, it get's a little exercise. About 130,000 miles on it so far with no issues or complaints about power.

7. 57FordGuy Founding Member

It took a lot of searching, but Ford still makes the motorhome chassis with the V10. Unless someone else has entered the market lately, Ford makes the only gas engine motorhome chassis that all makers use.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >