which comes first... the wipers or the air ???

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by jniolon, Dec 5, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

next work day on the truck we were going to start installing the a/c (vintage air sure fit) but I got to wondering if I shouldn't install the wipers first ??? experience ?? tips ?? restrained laughter ???

john

Tags:
  2. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I'll be assembling things as soon as I get the insulation taken care of and will be installing the wiper system first simply because there is more room before the A/C is put in. You filled your glove box in on your dash so that's what I would do if I were you..

JWC 3 and jniolon like this.
  3. fordgo Vet Zone

saw this kit when I was out at the mid fifty showroom when I went out there a year or so back the motor and all the works mount in the passenger side kick panel so it gives ya all kinds of room up there.. just the cable and pivots are in the original spots

upload_2016-12-6_8-53-29.png #ad

jniolon likes this.
  4. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Is this what you a using..?

5. fordgo Vet Zone

depends if I can get momma to let me have the $$$ for it lol

6. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

thought that would work better... here's my kit from Mid-50... it's a SPW. Their instructions are pretty complete but with no install images... might have to do up an article on this with installation pictures and descriptions...

Img_1404.jpg #ad
    Img_1405.jpg #ad

FTZ HAIC likes this.
  7. fordgo Vet Zone

looks like the same kit they had mocked up in the showroom where the motor was on the brace in the passenger side kit panel, dang should have taken pictures.....

8. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

IMG_1313 Quick e-mail view.jpg #ad

Here's my wiper set up, installed this this afternoon. Newport Wipers
    IMG_1317 Quick e-mail view.jpg #ad

Hooked a battery to it and took them for a test drive so now it's onto the Vintage Air install..

9. fordgo Vet Zone

John
    did you buy the modified pivots or just the standard ones? I was wondering what the difference was between the two...

10. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

funny you should ask that...and I'm assuming you're asking about the transmissions that poke thru the cowl that yo attach the wiper arms too. The kit that I bought from Mid-50 several years ago came with standard 3/8" shafts on the transmissions... after tinkering with them and the included bushing I could see that body work would have to be done that clean up that mess of "adapting" . I called SPW and talked to their tech guy Keith and he informed me that they offered a 5/8" shaft transmission that fit perfectly in the '53 and my bezel would fit perfectly and cover the hole. I just had to send him the old ones and for additional charge (60 bucks) that would supply the 5/8" by return mail. 60 bucks ??? cheaper than the body man's time to rework the cowl to make it pretty... should get replacements Mon or Tues and install will insue. I've also got to brag on SPW tech support... super friendly and helpful. offered suggestions and the parts swap that I didn't even know was available. And, I wonder why Mid 50 doesn't automatically offer the 5/8" kit since most of the trucks they service have the 5/8" hole in the cowl.

11. fordgo Vet Zone

Roger Roger I was wondering what the difference was saw the midfifty kit offered modified pivots for 70 more but no explanation of what the difference was. looking forward to seeing the install pics!!!

12. fordgo Vet Zone

so did the new wiper transmissions show up yet ? curious to see the difference

13. fordgo Vet Zone

so did the new wiper transmissions show up yet? curious to see the difference...

14. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

came in yesterday...but Christmas chores got my time... I'll get some pics today

15. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

well, I finally got to play with my wipers yesterday.. the new 5/8" transmissions came with a bevelled bushing... cut at about a 45 degree angle

[​IMG]#ad

I know you're supposed to grind down the bevel piece to get a good fit... but I couldn't see how it would work... plus I was getting interference with the defrost ductwork

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

so I cut a 3/4" straight spacer

[​IMG]#ad

and this is how it fits now[​IMG]#ad

might move it down a little ... with maybe 7/8 or 1" to pull it down a little further.. and since the arms are spring loaded I don't see how it being out of parallel with the windshield would make THAT much difference

now I'm trying to fit the motor into the kick panel where the bracing is not parallel at all

dustybumpers and OldjunkFords like this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >