Which Payload value is correct ?

Discussion in 'Towing, RV's, Campers and 5th Wheels' started by OrangeTurbo, Jan 26, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. OrangeTurbo

Hello all, would love some quick feedback - I just picked up a 2019 F250 Platinum 4x4 Diesel. On the drivers door the sticker says Max Payload is 1963 pounds. The dealer provided a specs printout based on my VIN which shows 2670 pounds. Are both referring to the same thing or what is the difference? I’m looking at a fifth wheel with a pin weight of 2000 pounds so I really need to understand which number is correct to determine if I safely pull my desired RV. Fifth wheel towing capacity of 14700 pounds is no problem, just the payload needs some clarity. Thanks.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

3. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I don't know if this will help you out anymore than the info Ken provided or not. 2019_Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide.pdf

In the RV forums, when people start talking weights, I find it is best to just pop the popcorn, sit back and watch the fireworks.

Personally, I would fill your pickup full of diesel and then put it on the scales and see what it weighs. Subtract that from your GVRW (10000 on your 2019?) and see what you have left. Then you just have to subtract the weight of passengers and pickup cargo to see what you have left for your payload and pin weight. Also, if I recall correctly, Ford figures your pillar weight by subtracting 150#'s for each seating position.
    Hopefully you would have scales that are accessible to you. I take that for granted as I have farm and DOT Commercial truck scales easily available to me.

Then air bags and / or Torklift Stableloads to help any leveling / ride / handling issues, IF needed.

From Ford themselves, page 12 of the RV & Towing Guide. "Cargo Weight Rating shown in chart is maximum allowable, assuming weight of a base vehicle with required camper option content and a 150-lb. passenger at each available seating position".

For what it is worth, most of the folks we occassionally rub elbows with in the campgrounds have gone to F350's for fiver's over about 30 feet. There are exceptions to that, but there always is. In the RV forums I visit, 350's or larger seem to be the direction people are going.

4. XDM45 Vet Zone Founding Member

The data on the door is supposed to be the ultimate 'authority' on your GVWR and payload. And yeah.....I'd do precisely what Mr Seabiscuit advised vis-a-vis taking it to a weigh station filled with fuel.

5. DonW

If the truck sits well, handles well, tows well, trailer is balanced I get the paint code off truck, get a can of matching paint and paint over the weight sticker.

6. Obe Vet Zone

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso