Which to choose?

Discussion in 'General Truck Discussion' started by rjp1267, Sep 17, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. rjp1267

Hello
    I am looking to buy a used F250/350 crew cab for hauling my bobcat and general use and after doing some research found many previous owners who had serious problems with engines and transmissions in certain models/years and wanted to get some opinions on what trucks have proven the most reliable. I am not looking to buy anything new and have kept my search limited to the 2014 and earlier model years as they seem to be priced within our ball park. Any help/advice to aid in narrowing the search for a reliable and Ford tough truck would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Tags:
  2. DonW

In a ford?? Really?

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

If it's a Ford diesel, if I was paid to take one I'd immediately sell it.

Ford diesels are junk, in my opinion, let me down several times and cost me a bundle. The stories about reliability problems are true. Some people will say "yeah, but if you do XYZ to them, they are bulletproof" -- to them I say you shouldn't have to throw another 5 grand at an engine to make it reliable.

DonW likes this.
  4. DonW

But I hear the new 6.7 is good? Or I should say the newer 6.7, no?

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

They say "they are better now" every generation since the 7.3L, and but every generation since the 7.3L always comes up with some kind of major issue. The 6.0L is the worst of the bunch. Yeah, the Powerstroke has gotten better over time since the 6.0L but they still have inexcusable problems considering what they cost.

Unless you're heavy hauling all the time, there is zero payoff buying a diesel. Repairs are far more costly. Fuel costs more. Maintenance costs far more like oil changes that take 3x more oil with filters that cost 5 times more than a gas engine filter. Maintenance needs to be done more often, like water separator checking and draining.

Common problems on the 2014 and older 6.7L (and some of these after 2014):
    1. Injector pump issues. And if it fails, have a couple grand set aside for repairs.
    2. Glow plugs breaking causing major damage.
    3. Turbo bearing failure.
    4. EGR soot build-up, requiring replacing the EGR.
    5. NOx sensor failures causing limp mode.
    6. Radiator leaks.
    7. EGT sensor failures. One fails and there's a good chance you're stuck on the side of the road.

I used to be one of those people who made excuses for the Powerstrokes... but it eventually burned me too, and I kept on top of good maintance habits.

DonW likes this.
  6. DonW

I guess most things today get better unless the manufacturer gives up and stops producing it, .I.E. Diesel engines. After the way my 2020 7.3 runs and pulls our 5th wheel I have no desire or need of a diesel. Heck I can’t afford my 7.3 say nothing about the diesel!!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >