Veterans Zone Why Do So Many "Check Out?"

Discussion in 'Veterans Zone' started by Blt4dtuff, Apr 28, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Blt4dtuff Vet Zone Founding Member

I put that into quotes because I meant it in the most serious of ways. There are far too many veterans who commit the ultimate act of suicide. I don't know if it's because they've seen so much that they feel like they can never be normal again (as if normal even exists), or if the pain is too deep for them, or if they simply feel like society doesn't care. It doesn't matter why. Too damn many!

I don't know if this thread will help any, but it could, I suppose, if for no other reason than someone reading this might know someone, or know of someone who is hurting. Who knows, maybe one of us will meet that person tomorrow and might be able to point them in the direction they need to go.

I know one thing, although I can't prove it, and that is that PTSD is real, and serious. I know one young man, of whom I think a great deal, who spent several years as a Striker for the US Army. He was in Afghanistan 3 or 4 times and saw and did things that he does not talk about, but has said were awful, horrible things that he was directed to do. He suffers from PTSD. I don't think he's a candidate for suicide, but you never know.

I believe, in my heart, that the drugs prescribed to these men and women are useless. They turn soldiers into zombies instead of helping them to cope. I had the pleasure of speaking to a Psychiatrist in the performance of my job. She was of the same opinion as me, but had also done tons of research on the subject. She was in the process of getting a book on this subject published, but I don't know if it ever made the bookstores. Her opinion is that TALKING is probably the single greatest thing these soldiers can do (when I use the term 'soldier,' I am talking about all veterans). Finding a support group of like-minded individuals has probably saved more lives than anything else. The first step is to admit you can't handle the PTSD alone. Once you can do that, you can find someone else to tell your story. Drinking and drugs are only stop-gap measures and don't help. Sharing is tough, because nobody wants to admit they are weak, but once they do, they often discover how many others are feeling the same.

If someone is hurting and wants to talk to you, LISTEN! You may be saving their life. Thanks.

Tags:
    56panelford and Fabman like this.
  2. Fabman In Memoriam Vet Zone Staff Alumni Oregon Chapter Founding Member

After 2 1/2 tours in Viet Nam, I have PTSD and it IS real. I was almost one of those that "checked out"... If not for a very good Oregon State Patrol Sgt that was a personal friend who's own son committed suicide I wouldn't be here. He talked me down and helped me see my problem. Since then I've helped several other Vets to realize that they are not alone. Every day of the year, 21 Vets complete the ultimate sacrifice of suicide. We all need to step up and help those Brothers...

Tall Timbers and Blt4dtuff like this.
  3. Kevinpmac Founding Member

I have seen the reality of PTSD up close thru my son. It is real and bears no reflection on how mentally tough a soldier may, or may not be.

Tall Timbers likes this.
  4. Fabman In Memoriam Vet Zone Staff Alumni Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Welcome to FTZ and a big thank you to your son for his service...

XDM45 and Kevinpmac like this.
  5. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

I don't know if that many are actually checking out, or if it's just getting more media coverage and national attention this time around. (Which of course is a good thing)

6. Fabman In Memoriam Vet Zone Staff Alumni Oregon Chapter Founding Member

7. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Agreed, but how well did they really keep track of those numbers after Vietnam? Or earlier? They used to call it shell-shocked, or out of their mind, etc. instead of PTSD.

The official sounding name, and official diagnosis of PTSD is a huge step in the right direction, but unfortunately care is administered by the VA. While still awful numbers, hopefully the trend is moving in the right direction on a percentage basis and we can keep it moving in the right direction from here. Hopefully more media coverage also means more civilians looking for and signs and trying to help out instead of relying on friendships through the VFW or Legion.

8. Kevinpmac Founding Member

Excellent post F350-6! I feel an overlooked factor is the guidelines under which our military currently operates. Today's forces are tasked with not firing on a threat unless the threat engages first. I've heard horror stories about village patrols where the fear is intense as you wait for it to happen...
    And then you have IED's!

9. Blt4dtuff Vet Zone Founding Member

I had the same thoughts about the statistics on veteran suicide, but have come to see that the numbers are pretty much as bad as advertised. You make a good point about the numbers after other wars, such as Vietnam, though. I have no idea what kind of research has been done in those areas. 'In the care of the VA' is ubiquitous, but also useless. In my mind, the VA is all about appearances. "Look at what we are accomplishing," instead of doing the right thing, they do something, which is far better than nothing, but still, the wrong thing can lead to tragedy. What the VA does is make it very easy for veterans with PTSD to get hard core drugs. The anti-depressants and psychotropic drugs these veterans are being prescribed do nothing to help them. They simply provide a means of escape, which is good only for the short term. Until the veteran deals with his or her emotional trauma, they cannot get better.

The VA would do much better for the veterans by providing them the means to work through the issues they face. Maybe they do provide the support groups, but they certainly don't make that their focus. Healing should be their number one goal, not a Band-Aid to cover up the issues. Am I wrong? Does the VA encourage veterans to seek support groups?

Here's one link that suggests they do:
    http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/treatment/cope/peer_support_groups.asp

10. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-veteran-suicide-20150115-story.html
    Detailed study shows the reasons aren't so simple to explain, and probably not solely due to one issue. For example those who weren't deployed to combat had higher suicide rates.

It cites possible reasons: PTSD, higher access to firearms, poor economy past decade making the transition to civilian life harder, higher risk prone personalities tend join an all voluntary military (they come by this due to lower suicide rates when the draft was randomly selecting a cross section of the entire population).

Problem is there's no way to really know, since once the person is dead they can't tell you why. :(

Not a vet, on the outside looking in.

Fabman and Blt4dtuff like this.
  11. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Here is one outfit that I've heard of who seem to be doing good things, far as I know they are a non-profit, non-VA

Blt4dtuff likes this.
  12. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

They rank well for the amount that goes to the actual charity. :)

You gotta be careful these days, with so many charities these days much of the money goes into paying the executives and fund raising rather than those who benefit from the charity. Wound Warrior was one I looked up not too long ago, and was disappointed. Only 57% goes to it's services. :(

13. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

We often don't know even when they survive. My own mother made three attempts, that I know of. The first when I was 14, the third when I was 28. After Tough Love, very tearful conversation....well, she lived to be 74.

FTZ HAIC and FTZ Peggy like this.
  14. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Good to hear she turned it around and didn't select the permanent solution to temporary problems.

15. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

My whole story is about "GETTING REAL"

I lived through so much BAD that it's a miracle I never checked out in the seventies - BEFORE I signed up

BOTTOM LINE: If you QUIT, the assholes win

I can not find it in myself to let such happen.
    Be STRONG!
    NEVER QUIT!
    Never give the bastards the satisfaction...

I AM I -

- and no son or daughter of a bitch is going to trash me!

I have a right to be myself and to be SUCCESSFUL!

This is the United States of America, where the life we have before us is supposed to be fair
    Damn if I will ever give up, even if it looks unbelievably hard.

It's better than anywhere else, and that is what I served to protect.

In the immortal words of ERB's John Carter:

"I STILL LIVE!!!"

Fighting words - that are worth living by.
    If any of you had any doubts - live by that.

Be stubborn - it is good for you

~Wolf out

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso