Will there be a new V8 coming soon?

Discussion in 'General Truck Discussion' started by Pops91710, Oct 17, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Pops91710 Founding Member

Rumors are that Ford has a new V8 in the works and that it might be a pushrod engine. Some speculate it will be a significantly larger-displacement engine as mush as 7.3L .

Can anyone verify if anything has come out officially from Ford about this? Any specs yet as to valves per cylinder, HP and Torque?

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

While it has been confirmed they will be coming out with 7.3L V8, I highly doubt it will be a pushrod. Ford has long since moved on to higher technology with their V8s.

3. Pops91710 Founding Member

I hope you are right, but the rumor is pushrod, AKA single cam, are much lighter engines.

4. V10 NUT

Hhhhmmmm. 7.3 v8.
    Could be a good replacement for my 03 v10.
    Maybe.......
    Kinda like the old 10 lung triton!!!

5. Pops91710 Founding Member

I'm with you, Nut! I absolutely love my 03 V10. I have had to do nothing to it since the day it was delivered from the factory except standard maintenance stuff. This V8, if it is a 7.3 as the rumors say, could get my attention if my "Vee-Ten" ever breaks! Actually, while my 4R100 has also performed flawlessly as well, I would like to get that new six-speed. I tow a large 5th wheeler and even though I use a gear splitter I sure could use two, (or two times two), more gears.

6. masakimm Vet Zone

well what ever they do they need to look back at the engines of old and find a way to make a decent engine again. I see to many upgraded ford engines that are now junk compare to their former counter parts.

Tall Timbers likes this.
  7. Pops91710 Founding Member

Ford was looking for a way to make a less expensive engine while at the same time get more cubes out of a smaller-girth engine. The pushrod engine does all that. Personally I see no reason to not use a pushrod engine. My 460 was a beast! But more to your point about higher technology V8s. Pushrod engines produce a lot of torque at the lower RPM scale where most needed, while OHCs tend to come alive at higher RPMs. There are pros and cons, and GM still puts out a lot of pushrod V-8s even today! My friends race high end pushrod-engines at the drags (Chrysler 392 Hemi, blown, and a Chevy V-8 Blown) and these guys can crank it up!

I just don't look at it as a step backwards though at first blush it feels like it. We shall soon see, I expect.

8. Pops91710 Founding Member

Ken, that engine is now on the line. Turns out it is indeed a single camshaft in the block as I said.

9. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Ford says it will go on sale in the fall for the 2020 model, and it's Super Duty only. They said it only helps with mileage on heavily loaded vehicles, and not to expect to see it in the F150 or Mustang. It wouldn't be much use for them anyway, based on what they said about it's torque curve.

10. Pops91710 Founding Member

I never thought of it being in anything but a Superduty. I wouldn't be able to use anything less given my towing needs. It's a "low-rpm" engine meaning it is designed for low-end grunt (torque). It's built hell-for-strong with roller lifters and roller rocker shafts, 6-bolt main caps. I'm glad to see they didn't go with GDI and stayed with MPFI. Now, all I have to wait for is the performance specs before I decide to get rid of my V-10. Naturally, it has to be better priced than the diesel before I spring for it.

captchas likes this.
  11. captchas

https://www.ford.com/trucks/super-duty/2020/ no pricing yet but IF ?? like the old loved$ 400.00 v10 i paid for the 10 in my 05 ,

so say if ford prices it at around ?? a grand or 2 that still beats the $ 9 k + price of the PS,

12. Pops91710 Founding Member

Indeed, it does beat the PS price premium, Captcha. Although the torque amount isn’t as high as some expected, the HP is phenomenal compared to my 2V V10, and the torque band starts at less than 1800 rpm with a massive 400 ft lbs and peaks at 475 ft lbs @ 4,000 rpm. With specs like these I may well be tempted to give up my ‘03. Lucky for me, it’s my wife that is pushing me towards a new truck!
    EDIT: By the way, with that kind of torque and 10 speeds mixed with 4x4, I should be able to tow well without resorting to low axle ratios. I dumped my 3.73 axles for 4.30s in my 03. Might not have to do that with the 7.3.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    captchas likes this.
  13. captchas

i'm in the market looking, 7.3 makes 475 or 480 ft lbs should be a selling point than it's also in the BB gm and ford size for cubes as 7.3 = 445

14. V10 NUT

Did a quick figure. The new 7.3 does have a little more power per liter than my 6.8. With a 10 speed transmission, and 430 gears it should be a decent upgrade.
    6.8. 62.5 torque. 45.6 hp. 310.hp. 425 tq.
    7.3 65.1 torque. 58.9 hp. 430 hp 475 tq

15. captchas

still waiting on ford to say the price which hopefully will be like the V10 option price in my 05 f250

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >