Wire harness

Discussion in '1961 - 1966 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Zakdtv, May 15, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Zakdtv

I figure if I'm asking questions I may as well make it interesting. I have a 66 f250 camper special. It has the original wiring in it. You may be shocked to learn that over the last 56 years people have liberally customized the truck that ford built. I have priced new harnesses and it is just overpriced. Does anyone have resources for wire lengths and plugs. I can source most or at least comparable plugs. I would however prefer factory look connections everywhere. I have found spot on schematics for wire colors but they don't have lengths. Worst case scenario I pull my factory harnesses to build a new one but I don't want the truck down that long. We bought this to work and that's the goal. Thanks for the help!

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I don't know of any documents with the lengths and plugs of these trucks, and I've been following this since the mid-1990s. Only seen wiring diagrams, and wiring layout books. The way I look at it, by the time you figure it all out, you could have made enough hourly wage to buy the kit from Painless!

iicap likes this.
  3. captchas

yes most kits are pricy so to say,
    if you do a simple google search you can find cheaper brands or name brand such as sold by speedway motors. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Search?query=universal wiring harness or summit racing
    https://www.summitracing.com/search...rtOrder=Ascending&keyword=wiring harness kits
    please remember you in many cases get what you pay for, cheap can be just that.

a big issue today is the price of copper, which makes the kits way more pricy than just a few years ago, at that point we need to understand how many running feet of each gauge wire is used in each kit , which in most is several hundred feet, add in connector ends, terminal housing ends, the fuse box assembly, labor to assemble the kit , than doing piecemeal figuring out what you need, you wind up far ahead of what it will cost piecemeal, in very big dollars which in the case of your truck a kit from american auto wire is $ 593.00
    yes pricy yet figure out what's included https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aww-510260/make/ford/model/f-100/year/1966 your ahead plus in the end you have each wire with what it is for printed APX. every 18 inches should a repair be needed down the line,

my partner and i do/finish on average 3 restorations a year, we use both American auto wire or painless wiring kits, both are used by many shops , with American being our go to since we are like them in new jersey . IMMO for a factory finished look they are the Rolls-Royce, they allow you to down load the instruction sheets for each section of the kit to see way ahead of the purchase
    good luck

Last edited: May 17, 2022
    iicap likes this.
  4. Zakdtv

Thanks for the reply. I am new to doing a classic. This is the first truck without obd that I have owned. It amazes me how simple it all really is. I was looking for factory specific harnesses like what lmc offers but in all reality those universal style kits might be better for adding other possible circuits. I was just shocked how much they wanted for the 3 small harnesses for this thing. I have done a lot of mobile electronic installs and I could put this together easily. After a little more digging and your replies I think I am going with the American Auto Wire kit. It is really complete. Thanks for the tip, Im headed in the right direction.

captchas likes this.
  5. iicap

Zakdtv, I like all said by FTZ HAIC, and captchas. You stated Work Truck, and looking for an economical repair to the wiring. Has all the under hood wiring been altered thru the years by previous owners?? If the majority of the harness is still taped up from the firewall connector and most of the connection ends to the sensors, starting, charging system, horns are really sad, good repairs with new end terminals and heat shrink, with glue butt connectors, with new wire would probably serve you just fine. All that old wire in the harness is probably fine. My biggest problem has been the under the dash Fuse Block. The clips that hold the fuse's are steel, they rust and lose their tension. Recently in online adds, is a compact 6 position, blade type fuse block that I would consider putting in My 66. Just thoughts and suggestion alternates, to replacing all, and you can do a bit at a time as you still use the truck. Cap

6. captchas

IMMO! that's a great choice, american kits have proven themselves to me time after time, YET so has painless wiring ,
    take some time and download the instructions for your kit,
    as to reusing the oem thats almost 60 years of heat and humidity , making for cracked casing and human interventions in the way of add ons and splicings , going with a full front to back new again IMMO,it's a big peace of mind knowing it's 100% done your way
    good luck and enjoy the fruit of your hard work

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso