< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. tvpitts

I am installing a new wiring harness on a 53 F100 with a friend. I have no idea what I am doing but my friend is a retired auto mechanic & know a lot about wiring. I am installing a very simple kit. I have standard 302 engine, std lights, & AC,. in the kit there is a 10 amp fuse link. My friend does not think that is big enough. What would you guys recommend

Tags:
  2. iicap

Your not clearly stating what the 10 amp fuse is Powering??? The whole system? The Lights? The AC? The Whatever? I'm sure your system has a fuse block for numerous systems thru out the truck. Sometimes A fuse could be powering a RELAY that has heavier wiring for the heavier load and not run thru the fuse block itself.

3. tvpitts

My alternator is rated at 160 amps, I am told that I need a fusible link to protect the whole electrical system. I don't know what size I need or where it goes.

4. iicap

If your wiring harness is coming with a new fuse block, every circuit has a fuse to protect that circuit if a short should occur. I would think the fuse block is marked and has the proper size fuses the Mfg. deems necessary for each circuit. Heavy load wires that are not usually protected are the source from battery positive side of the starter solenoid to the fuse block that is going to feed the whole vehicle. That wire needs to be in a loom and protected from any chance of a chafe to ground causing a dead short, particularly where it passes thru the firewall, it should be grommet-ed. The other unprotected wire is usually the one from battery to the battery terminal of the horn relay. A neat, secure installation of your wiring is the best way. If you put a fuse-able link rated for the whole system, it might never blow and cause you a bunch of melted, burned wires. If you put a link less than you total load and you have everthing electrical on, the link might blow, leaving you stranded, because it couldn't handle the load. If I could answer more for you, I'll try. Let us know how you make out. Cap

5. tvpitts

Thank, I appreciate the time you take to answer my questions.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >