Would you consider a diesel F150?

Discussion in 'General Truck Discussion' started by FTZ HAIC, Jul 6, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

With the 3.0L diesel F-150 all but a certainty, it brings to mind whether it would be a good buy.

If it's the engine I think it is, and that's the 3.0 V6 diesel Ford has had in it's stable since 1999 in the Range Rover, then it could be a winner. 256 HP and 440 lb-ft torque. But wait you say, the gas engines have more. Sure they do, but at 1750 RPM? And that's before Ford makes any possible engineering changes to the engine.
    Throw in possible higher mileage than the Ecoboost engines, and that's even more incentive..... but that will depend on the price. If it's as much of a premium as the Powerstroke is in the Super Duty, the average truck will never gain back the money spent on the engine in added fuel economy.

So, what would it take (if you were in the market for an F150) to seriously consider a diesel F150?

Tags:
  2. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

No................
    My co-worker is a ex-diesel mechanic, he wouldn't touch ANY of the new diesels with a 10ft.

RexB, 56panelford and JWC 3 like this.
  3. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

No diesel engines for me. I see to many high repair bills at the shop. The modern emissions crap made it worse..

RexB, 56panelford and OldjunkFords like this.
  4. XDM45 Vet Zone Founding Member

I'm considering the Ram 3.0L eco-tech diesel in their 1500, so yeah.......I'd consider the Ford.

5. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Just for the sake of saying you have a diesel...no way, a gasoline buggy is expensive enough to maintain. I think the diesels are just an in-thing for the younger crowd now and all they haul around is a 4 wheeler in the back..

JWC 3 and OldjunkFords like this.
  6. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I'd probably go with no. My 5.4 does everything I need it to do, even though I wanted to find a 6.2. I'm thinking when I upgrade my truck it'll be an F250 with the 6.2, as my wife doesn't want me getting an older truck with the 7.3 that I really want.

If Ford ever does bring the Ranger back, with a diesel, I might consider that. But then that means I'd have to downsize my trailer...

7. junkyardjeff

I would consider one depending on the fuel mileage and performance and the cost.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >