Veterans Zone Wounded Warriors, using money given for Vet programs for soda, candy, staff fun events,

Discussion in 'Veterans Zone' started by FTZ HAIC, Mar 12, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Tags:
  2. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

This is absolutely appalling and I was worried that something like this might happen based on a couple of things I have seen in person. Hopefully they will get it cleaned up and straightened out because that 60% they do spend on vets does a heck of a lot of good.

Someone gets something really honorable and good going and then the money corrupts. I can understand the concept of "showing off" or "spending a little to make more", but corruption, lavish parties, major "blow outs" at resorts, IMHO, goes beyond what is needed to attract donations or stay within at least the "spirit of the law" as it applies to non profits and charitable organizations.

I am suspicious and worry about all of these types of organizations though. Many have been caught up "in the money". A number of years ago there was the scandal over one of the "save the kids" groups fronted by Sally Struthers whining and crying in the commercials when they found that just 3 cents for every dollar every "made it to the kids". And, I still see where a lot of those are still in the 13 to 29 cents on the dollar range.

It is shameful, disgusting and doesn't even rate being in the same pile as the stuff I shovel out of the horse barn....

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Hate saying this, but it's based on experience (which I'll detail below): Whenever it's a charity involving law enforcement, fire fighting or veterans, I am automatically suspicious and skeptical.

Now the experience:
    In my early 20s I knew someone who used to be connected with fund-raising in these areas. He told me all kinds of stories of the appalling lies and techniques they used to raise money. The reason these types of charities are a target for this is because people don't want to come across as not supporting LE, firefighting and vets. The exact MOs he detailed back then.... haven't changed.

The person I knew who was involved with that he went through a low point in his life, saw the light and left it behind him. The sad thing is he was an Army (well still is, lol) vet at the time he did it!

The problems even infect "good" charities like the VVA, VFW, PBA, DVA, etc. These guys don't have much infrastructure for outside fund-raising. So they farm it out to for-profit fund telemarketing mills who keep 80 - 90%, with a lot of scam-artists operating the phones, or highly paid "consultants" handle TV advertising, etc.

4. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I didn't know anyone "in the field", but I was involved in some investigations. I have also been on the receiving end of some fund raising calls on behalf of an Agency I worked for or with and I knew for a fact we had no such activity going on. If I am so inclined to donate to a LE or FD agency, I just walk in the door, ask them about it and if verified, leave the check. Hard to do with things like Wounded Warrior's. However, I can usually get money to any outfit doing the exact same type of work by going through the VA or the local Vet club.
    Kind of like the weekly phone call from Microsoft wanting access to fix your computer............

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It seems the sad state of affairs is many charities, if not most, are there for the enrichment of one person or a group of people. All their good work aside, things like inflated salaries, expensing things on the charity's dime, etc. Red Cross, United Way... yup they do it too.

Think about this one... the March of Dimes was started to fight polio. What happened when polio was cured? Their mission had succeeded, right? Well, rather than giving up those nice jobs they had created for themselves, the board decided to make the March of Dimes all about childhood diseases in general.

Ugh, I'm going outside. Too many things to do and this type of topic isn't good for my blood pressure!

6. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

You want me to find you a blood pressure charity Ken? If I can't find one, I'll start one for you myself. I need a better retirement plan anyway. :)

I thought it was common knowledge that wounded warriors was a waste of time and money? Most charities aren't perfect, but that doesn't mean all are bad. If a tornado hit your street tonight, who do you think would show up with blankets, food, water, etc.? Things like Toys for Tots, Semper Fi Fund, or Fisher House are places you can donate your money to if you don't want to support a bunch of waste.

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Don't get me wrong I don't have anything against all charities or charities in general, you just have to do your due diligence these days. For national charities I go by this list https://www.charitywatch.org/top-rated-charities (except those with high compensations) and I've given to a few on that list.

When an F4/F5 tornado hit my street in 2011, going through the back yard missing our house and taking out several neighbors homes.... it was the locals and local charities/churches who stepped up to the plate more than anyone. Sure the national organizations stepped in and we were grateful but the local people were the best, and stuck around long after the national charities were gone.

We've given to Toys For Tots, and still do. Have also given to local churches before for their children gift programs.

8. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Same thing happened in 2012 when my parents neighborhood was hit. The local churches, schools, and fire departments did the bulk of the aid that was given. Churches raised money to give to folks to help rebuild. The local Catholic High School brought out 2 bus loads of students to help with the clean up. They walked the fields and gathered up the trash and put it in burn piles. The local fire department would come around at dinner time and bring lunchmeat sandwiches and again at suppertime. We refused them telling them we were OK and to give them to others in more dire straits than us. After the 3rd day, they told us they had more food than they know what to do with, and if we didn't start taking it, they were going to have to throw it away. A fund was started by the churches, and representatives went around to the households hit by the tornado asking what they needed. Actually, most people had insurance that covered most of the damage done. My folks had everything paid for as far as the building lost and damage to the house. One thing not covered was the couple thousand feet of fence that needed to be replaced (was actually done by now) and they paid for the materials for that.

I agree with checking the charity watch lists for the best national charities.

I had heard that the WWP was not a good charity in that they waste a lot of their money. I stopped donating to them several years ago.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  9. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

The charity that I do is first hand. I patch a tire on the side of the road, I hand out seeds and convince people to grow food if they can.

Hand out cash online?

I ask myself first how many times it came back.
    SUM=ZERO

(F) it

I have needed it many times, and I had to get MYSELF BACK UP!!!

I am ME, And I WILL STAND ON MY OWN TWO!!!

(F) CHARITY

I got back up by my goddamned self, thank you very (MF) much

*I was ineligible for relief because I made $100 more than the cutoff. Well (F) me...

Tennessee can kiss my ass

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  10. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Dutch, I think we need to help those less fortunate than us. And we all obviously do it in different ways.

11. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

A lot of the disabled Vets I've met are very independent and stubborn. When they see the wheel chair ramp on the front of their house though, or we take them on the fishing trip, even the most stubborn and their spouses show tremendous appreciation. People and groups that take advantage of this need to share a cell with Charley Manson.......

12. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Sorry I blew up. I'm in a non-typical situation.

The basic idea of helping vets I'm all for that. Post #1 got me thinking about not being able to get an EBT card when I could barely cover the basics, yet the estranged and her non-tax paying, non-SSI paying boyfriend both have EBT. Another non-responsible for themselves punk that I let stay at my place to get on his feet - who it turned out was yet another scumbag has one (and uses it to get money for booze and dope).

Here I sit though hanging on by pure stubborn grit, and the only help I've gotten is from friends. A deal of an amount of trading back and forth happens. It helps that I have a somewhat rare skill set on top of being able to do most things myself.

Much of which I guess is a bit off topic as far as charity organizations blowing the cash on themselves. It seems charity is big business nowadays, hopefully MOST of them really are non-profit.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >