Wrench light

Discussion in '2015 - 2020 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by Roblew, Aug 16, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Roblew

I’m new to this forum and not sure if this was talked about before.
    Has anyone ever had an issue with the wrench light coming on after driving in the rain for an extended period of time? The truck is a 2016 f150 Lariat. Truck run fine and the next day after it sits the light doesn’t come back on.
    Any thoughts?

Tags:
  2. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

there is a problem with the truck that is turning the check engine light on.
    you need to have the computer read to see what the stored code is.

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Ditto... you at least need to take it to Autozone for a free code check to get an idea of what the problem is.

4. Roblew

Will the code show up even when the light is out?

5. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

if the check engine light came on, there is a code stored in the computer.

6. Roblew

Ok thanks

7. Roblew

Went to an AutoZone and no code showed.
    Could it be a faulty indicator? The wrench light is out now and there is no fault stored in memory. It only came on while driving in the rain. So I guess no one has had this issue. Thank for the help.

8. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

my guess is the guy at autozoo is clueless on using the scanner. if the SEL comes on, there is a stored code. a soft code for pending problem if the light then goes back out, or a hard code if the light stays on.

9. mjleblanc

This just happened to me today when it rained. Same truck as yours. Ever figure anything out?

10. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I get a little confused over information out there on the wrench light and storing computer codes.
    I had a wrench light with no stored code that reset when I shut off the engine for a few minutes, a little over a year ago so I started reading. I run a ScanGage II plugged into the OBDII port full time for real time read outs (gauges) on a number of items. I probably should have checked for a code before I shut the engine off.
    I read a number of articles that tells me if I have Wrench Light, it could reset if I shut it off and then restart. These codes will be stored and can be pulled up by the Ford technician.[​IMG]#ad

I also read articles that say the Wrench light may not store any codes, which may be related to what was a passive / transient problem to start with.
    My owner's manual seems to indicate that if the light goes out, not to worry about it. If it stays on, get it serviced.

A couple of months after the Wrench Light, I did get a stand-alone (no Wrench Light) CEL with a code for a temp out of range. I took it to Ford and they replaced a sensor they said was dirty and 'weak'.
    The owners manual says, "Powertrain malfunction/Reduced power/Electronic throttle control (RTT): Displays when the engine has defaulted to a “limp-home” operation or when a transmission problem has been detected and shifting may be restricted. If the light remains on, have the system serviced immediately by your authorized dealer."
    (Emphasis added by me) So, I'm presuming that if the problem & light clears itself, does not go into limp mode or other restricted mode there may not be a stored code.

So it makes me wonder if there is a sensor that is getting wet or maybe the rain is causing a temperature difference between the block and cylinder head???????

At any rate try and pull a code if there is one there. Since it can be caused by multiple issues, without a code, there is no way to know what component is causing the problem.

11. mjleblanc

Update! Rained again last week and I noticed a puddle on the floor this time. The issue was the BCM getting wet. poopty windshield install or poopty glue.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >