1984 F-150 XLT 351w no acceleration power-backfires when floored

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by lazbiker, Mar 15, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. lazbiker

I finished the complete carburetor rebuild this evening with two exceptions.

1: The automatic choke has little rivets instead of screws so I left it alone (bad idea-maybe).
    2: The pump relief valve assembly (as the carb kit called it and here are the pictures of it) doesn't seem to be functioning in any way. I manually pulled a vacuum and there was no action (it's either clogged or bad). I also tried to pull a vacuum on the back side of it with the same result. What exactly does this little non-functioning valve do when it IS working?

image.jpeg #ad

image.jpeg #ad

56panelford likes this.
  2. lazbiker

Ok, I rebuilt the carburetor. After doing that I also found one big vacuum leak behind the carburetor that I blocked off, as well as a coolant leak from where the heater hose connects to the EGR manifold. Fixed that as well.

Now ITT will start and idle. After its up to operating temperature, I can give it gas up to about 2k rpm, after which it starts choking out. Also, if I spray started fluid into it while idling it starts to die as well.

I'm thinking that I should adjust the idle mixture screws via vacuum gauge. I've heard that 17 hg is a good goal.

Thoughts please....

56panelford likes this.
  3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

How is the idle, smooth steady and the RPM where you need it?

4. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Adjust those idle screws to about 3 1/2 turns out from bottom..............not kidding, was the only place my old 2150 would run on my Ranger.

56panelford likes this.
  5. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

On second examination...............are you certain that is a 351w and not a 302?...........is the underhood spec tag intact?
    I thought all 351w's by 84 had the holley 4v carb and the air cleaner that said "5.8 liter 4v HO"?
    302s continued on with the 2bbl until 85/86 when they got EFI.

56panelford likes this.
  6. lazbiker

there are absolutely no stickers of any kind on this truck. I did find a number cast into the intake manifold. Here is the picture of the casting number.

image.jpeg #ad

56panelford likes this.
  7. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'm betting that if you can find the casting no. on the block, or even run the VIN, it's a 302.

56panelford likes this.
  8. lazbiker

According to the Vin it's a 351w. The 8th digit is a G.

56panelford likes this.
  9. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Wow..............must be a Kalifornia thing, I have never seen a 351W with out a holley 4v since 82.
    Try the 3 1/2 turns out on the idle mixture first, then if no success, pop the top on the carb and see if the float is too low/high, and properly attached to it mount.

56panelford likes this.
  10. lazbiker

I checked the float and it's perfect

56panelford likes this.
  11. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Try the mixtures screws...............3 1/2 turns out sounds crazy, but it worked.

56panelford likes this.
  12. lazbiker

From all of my research the casting#13726548 is actually the firing order of both the 351w/c and the boss 302 h/o.

The Windsor has the water outlet in the intake manifold, the Cleveland has it coming straight up from the block.

A 302 will have 6 valve cover bolts / a 351 will have 8.

The 351m fuel pump bolts are verticals, the 302 and 351w fuel pump bolts are horizontal.

The 351c is a small block with big heads (5 1/8") between the top bell housing bolts / the 351m is a big block (7 3/4") between the top bell housing bolts.

I'm looking over mine when I get home from Easter at the great grandparents home.

56panelford likes this.
  13. lazbiker

Water outlet coming straight up from the block, title and vehicle vin both say "G" in the eighth digit, fuel pump bolts are horizontal, valve covers are parallel with the heads all the way.

56panelford likes this.
  14. lazbiker

Here is what's happening.

56panelford likes this.
  15. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

May be time to start considering electrical faults................ign. problems can mimic fuel problems, a bad ECU or coil can do weird things like in your video.

56panelford likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >