1997 f250 HD 5.8 dumping gas into exhaust

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by lcattin, Oct 24, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

This truck is batch fire.
    2017-10-25-19-59-52.png #ad
    all the reds are hot, tied together. It drives the injectors 4 at a time with ground. They should not have constant ground.

dustybumpers likes this.
  2. lcattin

Thank you. That confirms the schematic and other information I discovered this afternoon. Once I get things back together I will check that out.

JWC 3 likes this.
  3. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

2017-10-25-20-07-02.png #ad

dustybumpers likes this.
  4. lcattin

I removed the engine harness and repaired some chewed insulation on some injector wiring. There were no shorts in the harness.
    I installed it back in the truck and plugged it into the powertrain control module. The battery is not hooked up to the truck.
    When I checked the grounds on the injector wires, the center batch of injector wires showed a short to ground.
    The outside group of injectors grounds are open.
    Also the distributor is not plugged back into the harness when doing this test.
    I cannot do a key on test yet as I have the fuel lines unhooked waiting on a new set of injectors.

Normal or not?

5. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

With the injectors unplugged? Just the ecm connected?

6. lcattin

Yes that is correct.

7. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Sounds like a bad ecm if no short in the harness.

8. lcattin

I was afraid you were going to say that.
    I'll have to get it out and get the numbers off it. The local salvage yard doesn't have one.

9. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Try rock auto online.
    Best of luck.

10. lcattin

Well, new reman computer from Oreillys and no more short. Injectors will be here on Monday so it will go back together.

dustybumpers and JWC 3 like this.
  11. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Good luck!
    Hope all works out well.

dustybumpers likes this.
  12. lcattin

This will be a bit long but here goes.

Got it finished. It was definitely the ECM causing the issue. Installed the reman ECM, reman injectors and new plugs and points. After assembly I learned that the apparatus holding the PCV valve had to be inserted in the valve cover before the intake plenum is dropped into place so I had to take the plenum loose and raise it up to get the PCV in place then reassemble again.
    Lastly all the plastic vacuum lines went in the trash and I revised the engine with proper vacuum hosing.
    Then changed oil and filter as there was stale gas in the oil. (Going to change it again in about 100 miles)
    Installed the battery and hit the starter. It fired up and now runs as smooth as a top.

Thanks to all for their help and advice while figuring this one out!!

dustybumpers and JWC 3 like this.
  13. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Glad you got it fixed.
    Thanks for posting your fix!

dustybumpers likes this.
  14. scarper13

Check you MAS while your at it, clean it with some carb cleaner.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >