Ranger 2000 ranger 4.0 4x4

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by fredinct, Jan 6, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I have NO confidence in auto-hubs............
    I have never attempted to repair or replace them, I have always opted just to swap them out for a set of Warn or Mile-Markers manual hubs.
    Replacing the auto-hubs has always been cost prohibitive for me.

2. fredinct

Would the thought process be that the most likely next point to look at would be the hubs? Or is there a possible second problem spot? Could the vacuum system be checked at the hubs, or the solenoid that controls the vacuum. Just thoughts from an amateur make believe mechanic.

Fred

3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

My thought is in the hub
    Mod=st of the parts inside are plastic, and crack and break over time
    Dave is correct
    I would look into mile markers, they are what I put on my auto hub f 150, and have proven to be a good choice so far

4. fredinct

ok another question, on you-tube yes you-tube they show taking the cover off the hubs and then pushing the hub in with your finger would this work as a check on the rest of the system before buying manual hubs. just a crazy thought. and thanks you for the information so far it is appreciated.

5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

If you could post the link....

Right click on it, left click on copy short cut

in this secton for post replys, right click, then left click paste, the link will appear here when you post the reply

6. fredinct

this is not the best one I saw but it shows the principle theory. is this a way to check the rest of the system

7. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I assume that would work
    what do you do to seal the hub back up to keep the weather and mud out?

8. fredinct

according to one site there is still a rubber seal on the bearings. but I was just wondering if it would work to check the rest of the front drive system for other problems.

Fred

9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Not true
    water will go in there, and freeze. it will weep into all the working parts, and eventually distroy the hub, and the whole front bearing set up

My friend has a F 350 4x4 that is dead lined because he had a crack in his hub, and said "someone on you-tube said it would be ok"
    The water weeped into the bearings and ruined the cone that holds the whole front assembly together

I would try to put some type of rubber plug on there if I were to go that method

Personally, I have never had good luck with automatic hubs

All hubs wear out in about 60-100,000 miles, unless they have been serviced, and require replacement
    I would buy a set of mile marker or warn locking hubs, and be done with it

Anyway, it's your truck, and yours to do with as you please

OldjunkFords likes this.
  10. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

You get used to getting out and turning the hubs.................and manual hubs never break.

dustybumpers likes this.
  11. fredinct

I am planning to do the manual hubs I was just wondering if the above process would be a way to check the rest of the system.

12. fredinct

I have been digging around for prices and info on Manual hubs. Rockauto does not list them as they were never made for the 2000. Warn hubs makes it hard to find the right ones Mile Marker does list one for the 2000. now is there a big difference in the regular verse the premium? is the insides different or is it just the outside finish or color?

13. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I went with the premium on my 94.
    All aluminum and stainless. No plastic. Worth the extra money in my opinion
    I have had those Mile Marker hubs on that truck for 5 years with no problems

Warn makes a good hub too, I have those on a few of my trucks. It is up to you what you want

14. fredinct

thanks for the reply all the information does help, and sometimes the experiences mentioned are what I am looking for.
    thanks again

Fred

15. fredinct

waiting for the new hubs to come in the mail. Now with a question, when driving on questionable roads, or going to work and lets say the back roads are snow covered and using 4 wheel drive if I hit the interstate and it is clear can I turn off the 4 high and drive with the hubs locked or do I need to unlock them. Can you guess I have not driven on roads with locking hubs, my woods truck just stay locked all the time. I am only on the interstate about 5 miles.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >