460 No Spark 1980 F350

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Check, Jan 28, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I think rosco is correct. I think the voltage is stepped down with a resistor wire. It that in run only? 12 cranking? I need to check.

Check likes this.
  2. Check

I replaced the coil and she fired right up! Thanks, guys!

3. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Glad you got it running!

Check likes this.
  4. BKW Founding Member

No TFI modules until 1984 (Charlie: E43Z-12A297-A this was a POS!). The "blue" DuraSpark module was used thru 1989 on some.

The 3 step scenario of a failing DuraSpark ignition module:

1) Module overheats, engine dies. Module cools down, engine restarts almost at once.

2) Module overheats, engine dies. Module cools down, engine restarts in an hour or so.

3) Sooner or later, usually sooner, the module overheats, BURNS OUT. Now the engine will not restart.

Taking the module to an auto parts store to be tested: Will test OK unless the little charmer has burned out.

Engine heat, especially when radiating from the V8's red hot left exhaust manifold, is the mortal enemy of these modules.

When replacing, use some washer to space it further away from the apron. The more air flow, the better.

The original DuraSpark modules were so troublesome, that Ford techs referred to DuraSpark as NeverSpark!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Check likes this.
  5. Check

Well, she bit the dust again. No spark and this time the trigger at the minus terminal of the new coil is barely noticeable. With the key on, I have full battery voltage at the plus and minus terminals.
    Does this mean my module is probably bad? I'll try to upload pics. Module 001.JPG #ad

Module 005.JPG #ad

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Module is Toast. Make sure to get a new one from Ford with the blue grommet

Check likes this.
  7. BKW Founding Member

1U2Z-12A199-AA (replaced D6AZ-12A199-A & D9VZ-12A199-A) .. Ignition Module w/blue plastic grommet (Motorcraft DY-893) / Available from Ford

1976/89 myriad FoMoCo vehicles.

JWC 3 and dustybumpers like this.
  8. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I have two modules on my truck. ...
    I always have a spare, they are that reliable. ......

Check likes this.
  9. roscoe 0202

if you can find one get a niehoff they worked better for me
    roscoe

10. Check

Just an update...I bought a Napa Echlin (blue grommet) module and installed it. Truck is plowing snow again.
    Thanks for all your help, guys.

JWC 3 and dustybumpers like this.
  11. L-2

Basic train of thought. If there is no spark off the coil when cranking the engine either A] there is no signal going into it telling it to fire, or B] it is bad. If there is a signal pulsing into the coil, replace the dead coil, if there is no pulse, back up to the destributor. Is the cap cracked? rotor all dicked up? water in it? If everything looks good in the destributor back up to the module. Does the module have power to it? does it have a fried wire? if in doubt, replace module. systematic analysis is the key.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >