62 Ford Unibody Twin Turbo Build

Discussion in 'Ford Truck Builds' started by CzDaveC, Jul 21, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. CzDaveC

LOL,
    That's an aftermarket , high output alternator , set up for single wire use.
    I use them because they are cheap , simple ,and they work .

2. CzDaveC

Wanted to check in with a progress update. Been working on getting the fuel system and turbo oiling system figured out and making all the lines etc.
    Holidays have really cut into " truck time "
    Trying to come up with a neat and clean filler neck setup for the fuel cell as I really don't like the ole " cut a hole in the bed " way. I would like to be able to have stuff in the bed and still be able to fill the tank.
    So , on a lighter note I figured I would make some trick stuff and put my CNC machine to work and made these fuel line clamps to hold the 5/8" fuel and return lines ! How's that for wasting an afternoon !! LOL. IMG_20171212_135128913.jpg #ad

dustybumpers likes this.
  3. CzDaveC

Been a while since I posted an update.
    So here goes,
    Right now I am in the process of 4 linking the rear end and tubbing the fenderwells in to the frame rails .
    I am also adding in electric power assist on the steering along with a modified column with a quick disconnect steering wheel to make it easier to climb over the seat bolsters.
    Narrowing the rear axle by 10" , Moser is making the axles and I am building the diff and shortening the housing in house.
    I am also adding Wilwood low profile rear disk brakes to fit the 15" rims. IMG_0982.jpg #ad
    IMG_20180329_112204307.jpg #ad
    IMG_20180330_085045163.jpg #ad

IMG_20180330_094210574.jpg #ad

4. CzDaveC

Spent the last few days cutting out the wheel tubs to clear those tires and then laying out and removing the back half of the frame in preparation for the new 4 link rear suspension .
    The last pic shows the squared up and tacked together rear frame rails in preparation for finish welding.
    Shortened up the 9" by 10" on width and had Moser Eng. build me the new axles to go with it. IMG_20180330_124857637.jpg #ad
    IMG_20180511_111050466.jpg #ad
    IMG_20180511_113536053.jpg #ad
    IMG_20180511_113549832.jpg #ad
    IMG_20180511_135334768.jpg #ad
    IMG_20180511_143430730.jpg #ad

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Question... what are the plans for the body rust? I assume you're going to get it dipped and then painted nicely, considering all this work going into performance/handling?

6. CzDaveC

Hi Ken ,
    Yes, The truck will get torn back down after all the fab work is complete. I like to build a vehicle first , get it all sorted out and running correctly . Then I move onto the body work and paint phase.
    Not sure if I will go with a dip or not. The rust is mostly surface rust ,so I may go with media blast .
    I find it easier to do the fab work without having to worry about scratching the paint / putting dents into finished panels etc. ( I am sure you know how that goes )
    My 66 Mustang was driven for about 6 mnths after I built it to sort all the bugs out of it , then I did the paint and bodywork.
    Seems to work as the 66 has been driven regularly for the last 12 yrs. without issue.

Cheers
    Dave

JWC 3 likes this.
  7. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I hate when a customer brings me a job fresh out of paint. .....
    I have a Chevy I've done a bunch of work on, before paint. He gets it. ...
    I worked on a 50's Ford freshly painted .... nail biter. ..afraid of any little thing that may happen.
    Nice project, btw.

8. CzDaveC

Thanks !!

9. masakimm Vet Zone

Good Golly Miss Molly U got some Skill. This is looking to be an awesome build when its done. I'm looking forward to seeing this get completed.

10. CzDaveC

IMG_1168.jpg #ad
    IMG_1169.jpg #ad
    IMG_1170.jpg #ad
    Got the rear suspension all done and the truck is back on her wheels.
    Had to get 250# springs for the coilovers to get the proper sag on the suspension.
    The rear axle turned out nice but my differential guy says it nots beefy enough for strip use, so there went a chunk of change down the drain for the Moser axles and 3rd member.
    Oh well , it's a learning experience .

dustybumpers likes this.
  11. CzDaveC

They say there is a silver lining to every cloud, Well the last year or so has been very trying for me both personally and professionally. I haven't been able to work on my truck in over a year.
    So , the silver lining of this Covid-19 crap is that even though my business is tanking, I have a lot of free time on my hands to start building the truck again !! 62 Cab Mount 1.jpg #ad
    62 Cab Mount 2.jpg #ad
    Cab Setup.jpg #ad

I finally cut out the old rusted out cab mount and replaced the rotted floor and mount with new metal. The last pic shows the electric power steering being fitted up , I later rotated it 180 degrees and have it tucked up under the dash and out of the way of my knees . The steering wheel and seat location were finalized for proper fit and vision out the window.

12798.jpeg #ad

12. CzDaveC

These pics show the building and installation of the roll cage. I spent over 20 + hours making sure it would tuck in tight to the cab and be unobtrusive. The last 2 pics show the brow bar, it required the most work to fit properly. I ended up with Version 4.0 that is in the last pic . The pic before shows where I had taken the previous one and cut it in half and tacked in another pce. of tubing to make sure I had the shape and fit the way I wanted . 62 Cage 1.jpg #ad
    62 Cage 2.jpg #ad
    62 Cage 3.jpg #ad
    62 Cage 4.jpg #ad
    Cage 5.jpg #ad

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >