79 F-100 Turbo 300-6 Sleeper

Discussion in 'Ford Truck Builds' started by Sick6, Oct 4, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

So do these turbo's work on a stock motor, an easy fix for extra ponies? are there any cheap ones that can be had at a wrecking yard kind of thing?

2. Sick6

Yes, a turbo will make big torque on a stock motor. An economic turbo that has proven reliability and works well with a 351w is this...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-H...ash=item460b34735f:g:llMAAOSwGvhUKgB-&vxp=mtr
    This will spool around 3200-3600 on a 351w depending on cam. There are other new options that would spool much lower. Twin turbos from a turbo 2.3 would spool sooner with a stockish cam, and are reliable. Depends on what rpm you want the power. Turbocharging has a lot of details that need to be covered, but step by step and patience, can be done by most anyone with mechanical skills and some help.

56panelford likes this.
  3. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

That's not a bad price at all, I may need to look into this a little more sometime down the road or at least after it's on the road...lol

Sick6 likes this.
  4. Sick6

The Lunati cam shoots to 5200 and stays there. Shifted at 90 instead of 85 to see if it would come up but didn't. I think I found the reasonable rpm limit with the stock head and a turbo. Possibly more timing with e85 and more boost next year would help a little. I am also planning on an s475 or similar turbo to lower backpressure even more.

It feels very strong and mean at 16-17 psi(turned down for initial testing) and borderline lean without touching the carb, so likely making more power. I feel the more aggressive intake lobe with less advertised duration than the Crower has made the engine more efficient power wise. A longer, more gentle intake lobe may have made more rpm, but not as much tq up top.

Was it worth it? Absolutely. Knowledge gained for the 300-6 faithful, and more power at rpm. 5200-5300 rpm with the 300 is equivalent to 6000 rpm with a 351 and 7000 rpm with a 302, a good wall to hit with stock rods and pistons.

Onward with boost and n2o!

56panelford likes this.
  5. Sick6

Here's what I have found so far looking at the intake lobes:

Comp 268= 268 adv. [email protected] .456 lift...4500 rpm brick wall

Crower 284= 284 adv. [email protected] .509 lift...5000 rpm able to climb to 5200

Lunati cust= 277 adv. [email protected] .533 lift...5200 rpm brick wall

Want 2 try= 288 adv. [email protected] .517 lift...guessing 5400-5500

Comparing the Comp and Crower, it seems the the increase in advertised duration helped with rpm. Even tho the Crower is more gentle, it did make more power. I felt the Lunati 277 was taking a risk with the shorter advertised duration, but had to try it. The aggressive 277 lobe would probably be better in an application with good head flow, looking to keep rpm down. I am impressed with the 277, it just didn't rpm with a 4" stroke and small ports, somewhat expected. The Lunati 288 lobe was a consideration when deciding. If I can liquidate these other cams I may go for it.

56panelford likes this.
  6. Sick6

I do think the next logical step will be to install the Garrett 72mm turbo that I have, with a t6 foot and 87mm turbine exducer to lower back pressure further. Give the Lunati 277 a chance to work up top and go from there. The Crower 284 picked up power and a little rpm going from the ebay t72 with a 68mm turbine exducer to the gt45 with the 77mm turbine exducer.

I will need n2o for sure to light that puppy on the line!

56panelford likes this.
  7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Yeah, "junk yard" turbos have gotten extremely popular over the years due to this, and more used turbos (and China turbos) are available all the time. Turbos everywhere these days, who'd have thought 10 years ago Ford would have a turbo 6 outselling the V8 in the F150?

8. Sick6

Your right Ken, it's the trend now. I really got a tickle out of the Cadillac commercial a year or so ago where they were bragging up the new 270 hp and 27 mpg 4 cylinder. That's exactly where I was with my 1986 turbocoupe 2.3 when I sold it!

56panelford likes this.
  9. Sick6

This kind of makes me feel better about the rpm peak I am seeing. This is quoted from the builder of "Frankinsix" on youtube.

"We used 6.200 Chevy rod and cut the crank down to fit. Modified a 351 N head FTpiston so it would guide the rod since the Chevy rod was narrower than the Ford. Chevy 1.94 /1.6 Valves. 26918 Comp springs. Flat,Solid lift .565/575 custom ground cam. Some port work on the head, Milled the head and decked the block to get the compression up to 12-1. We also used a few parts from other engines as needed. Modified a set of BB Chevy 1.7 rockers and custom built P/Rods & guide plates. 311 HP @5100 RPM And 375 FT LB. @3600RPM"

5100 rpm peak with a big solid cam and n/a so no back pressure. Don't think I will be going bigger with the turbo just yet. I have an idea of a grind that will pull past 5100-5200, but might not be worth it to split hairs for a few hundred rpm.

56panelford likes this.
  10. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Do you have any sort of data logger to see where your actual acceleration numbers are?

11. Sick6

No, been looking at mounting a video camera in there to help. It is 3800 when spools mad dash to 5200 and all done. No hiccups along the way.

56panelford likes this.
  12. Sick6

The Lunati 277 continues to impress, pulling to 5600 in 1st gear with a cool converter. Initial tests were in 2nd gear, 5200 wall which is likely peak hp. Spools on the brake with a warm converter easily. Much quicker than with Crower 284.

16-17 psi with 13* total feels stronger and meaner than 20 psi and 14* total with the Crower. I still think the Crower 284 is a great off-the-shelf turbo cam for a 300.

I have decided at this time (yeah right lol!) to re-stall my Pro Edge converter to this combo and throw a set of rings at the motor. Then push the current combo hard before changing anything. I do have a Garrett t6 turbo (similar to S472), n2o, and the specs picked out for my next custom cam, waiting in the wings.

56panelford likes this.
  13. Sick6

Well, it's time to say goodbye. I have decided to take a break from forums.
    Good luck with all your builds and take care.

14. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Okay, when you're ready to come back we'll welcome you :)

15. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Don't stay away long...

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >