American built Nissan?!

Discussion in 'Other Projects' started by Critter, May 4, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. BKW Founding Member

When the attack began, a sailor on the Oklahoma yelled thru the megaphone:

"MAN YOUR BATTLE STATIONS, THE JAPS ARE ATTACKING PEARL HARBOR, THIS IS NO SH*T!"

dustybumpers likes this.
  2. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I've often thought about getting a two rotor Mazda engine to put in something small. A three rotor would be too difficult and expensive for me to ever get my hands on, but those things seem to me to put out more ponies for their size than anything else out there.

A 351 in a Nissan sounds to me like a 'body off' project, I bet the surgery needed will be amazing.

3. BKW Founding Member

Research the Wankel Rotary engine and you'll discover its origins and the fact that more vehicles besides Toyo Kogyo (Mazda) used it.

4. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

I think it will be a nose off project. My Xterra is slightly larger in the engine bay than your Ranger. Most of it is set up for a 3.3L SOHC V6. You can easily see asphalt from the top of the engine bay.

5. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

The Wankel engine is a fuel sucking powerhouse . Many makes have used them . Suzuki even made a motorcycle with a Wankel engine . It was short lived due to fuel consumption and heat issues . Mazda had a small truck with one also ... Just thinking out loud !

6. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

That would be fun. A four rotor PreRunner. The X will see trail, sand, and rock. That means I need low end.

7. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Two words: "GEAR VENDORS"
    *Santee/Lakeview, California

They make both over, and UNDER drives.

The max HP curve of a rotary is in the high RPM range, so you'd wanna gear it down for grunt.
    The bad news is that a rotary will guzzle as much fuel as you let it drink. Kind of like "SDElwood" elsewhere, and brew....

They can be built to spin at 15,000 RPM without becoming shrapnel grenades. The big deal about them is extreme light weight.

Link ONE:
    https://www.gearvendors.com

Link TWO:
    http://www.mazdatrix.com

~That's some wikkid stuff if you seriously wanna go there...

I'll give you one more:
    http://www.advanceadapters.com

~But you better know what you are doing if you go to that last.

8. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

Dutch, I'll check those out when I get home from my errands. Honestly I think the 351 would be a less expensive build, but you have a point with weight issues. I'm looking at adding about 100lbs going aluminum, and at least 250 with an iron block.

9. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

Ok, so PICTURE TIME!!!

When I first got it in 2011:
    b8025b7cf6ac7bebe5b2b57c9e5a2e99.jpg #ad

Later that year I installed new wheels:
    c0540b248e9ac4103b9ca978eacc117d.jpg #ad

In 2012 I added bumpers:
    5c2cdda5b5b0efc1a3f13c63d09b1b8b.jpg #ad

e42bdbdb5457661150203bf0228028e0.jpg #ad

In 2013 I added the lift and the rock sliders:
    60e3ac3284645e3e41ec103ea3788b2e.jpg #ad

Everything else has bee basic upkeep so far.

KW5413 likes this.
  10. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

:clap:anim "'ol Blue'' is shaping up very nicely...

11. pirahnah3 Founding Member

Looks to be in great shape good job keeping her up.

12. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

Couple of updates and a discussion question. First, I plan to re install a factory front bumper. At least until I can save up the difference for the PreRunner bumper. Second I had to do an emergency fan clutch replacement last night. Not hard, but $50 I would have preferred to spend elsewhere.

Now, the discussion issue. Federal law states that I must use a 2004 or newer engine in this truck when I swap it. I'm looking for suggestions now. Pushrod engines are preferred. Also, I'd like either a manual option or a stout automatic for it. I will be adding 4WD in after the power train swap is complete.

13. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Dang...Put one one these bad boys on there. Its only $$$$$$$.

06897c87d6573f867dadd4887006300e.jpg #ad

14. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

I want this one.

Btw, that's a second gen, so it won't fit

image.jpg #ad

KW5413 likes this.
  15. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

That dog will hunt...if you are going to go bad dog then go all in.....LOL

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso